• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11937 posts
  • Other

Posted 11 August 2008 - 10:04 PM

What the bloody hell is going on with the BBC and video-originated drama?

Now, I didn't for a fraction of a second expect Code 9 to be anything other than another desperate attempt by the BBC's recently-prolific Department of Applied Mediocrity to produce something clearly aimed at fulfilling Auntie's mandate for regional production. My complaint isn't so much about the writing or performances - which are both sufficiently lazy and phoned-in that I've really only watched enough to find that out - because failings in those areas are increasingly inevitable. I'm here to moan again about something the BBC seems unavoidably fated to do, which is to ensure that anything electronically-originated is as flat and as boring-looking as England itself. I have no idea what it was shot on but it has that same slightly blurry look Torchwood does, rather like some dimwitted film-experienced camera assistant as gone "aha, we is shooting at 25fps, so we is using the 1/25 shutter." I've been reliably informed this isn't what went wrong with Torchwood, so I'm assuming it was some very low rent form of HD which has been graded to the satisfaction of someone who's managed to be both technically and artistically incompetent and then downconverted for SD broadcast using the Beeb's patent make-it-look-shitty box.

This is a gigantic insult to the original Spooks, which has for some time been the closest thing to a decent indigenous TV series.

I am unhappy enough to publically broadcast the arrogant opinion that I have personally made video look very much better than that under circumstances which, despite the series' obvious budget of several whole pounds, would make its crew run screaming.

And I would never ask for money in return for shooting a TV series.

P

Technodolly

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Aerial Filmworks

Rig Wheels Passport

CineLab

rebotnix Technologies

Paralinx LLC

Opal

Willys Widgets

The Slider

Tai Audio