Cello

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Director

Posted 13 August 2008 - 05:07 PM

Hi:

I will soon be directing a low-budget independent feature. Could someone please explain the drawbacks of going with 2 perf instead of 3 perf?

#2 Stephen Williams

Stephen Williams
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4708 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Europe

Posted 13 August 2008 - 05:12 PM

Hi:

I will soon be directing a low-budget independent feature. Could someone please explain the drawbacks of going with 2 perf instead of 3 perf?

Hi,

Please use your full real name, it's a requirement here.

Stephen

#3 Paul Bruening

Paul Bruening

(deceased)

• Sustaining Members
  • 2858 posts
  • Producer
  • Oxford, Mississippi

Posted 13 August 2008 - 09:21 PM

Here's an informative link to start.

http://en.wikipedia....iki/Techniscope

Plus, searches here will spit up some threads, a couple are recent. Try, techniscope, 2-perf, 3-perf and Super35 (S35) in the search. The jump from 2-perf to 3-perf is not as pronounced as the jump from 2-perf to anamorphic 4-perf. Most folks here feel that if the budget allows, 3-perf is a better way to go. You've got to be pretty short on cash to see some use from 2-perf. 2-perf is a pretty good way if you're broke but still have a hunger for 35mm.

#4 Bruce Taylor

Bruce Taylor
  • Sustaining Members
  • 482 posts
  • Other
  • Los Angeles

Posted 14 August 2008 - 05:28 PM

You've got to be pretty short on cash to see some use from 2-perf. 2-perf is a pretty good way if you're broke but still have a hunger for 35mm.

Paul!

How can you say that! Did Sergio Leone direct those westerns in 2 perf because he was broke?

As Paul said, a few searches on this site or google will yield the information you need.

I collected a few useful links and a short Q&A concerning 2 perf here: http://www.indi35.co...erf_techniscope

One significant advantage of 2 perf is that a 1000ft of film runs for 22 minutes, useful if long takes are a part of the project. The 50% film savings also make short ends much more viable if you're going that route.

Bruce Taylor
www.Indi35.com

#5 Leo Anthony Vale

Leo Anthony Vale
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2010 posts
  • Other
  • Pittsburgh PA

Posted 16 August 2008 - 02:15 PM

Paul!

How can you say that! Did Sergio Leone direct those westerns in 2 perf because he was broke?

& he had B/W work prints, possibly contact printed.

See "Sergio Leone : something to do with death "/ Christopher Frayling.

#6 Dan Goulder

Dan Goulder
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1259 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 17 August 2008 - 02:00 PM

& he had B/W work prints, possibly contact printed.

See "Sergio Leone : something to do with death "/ Christopher Frayling.

Do you know how these work prints were cut? Did they use 2-perf flatbeds, 2-perf upright Moviolas, or what? (I do know of 2-perf projectors, which are extremely rare and expensive, if you can even find one.)
Thanks.

p.s. Regarding the theory that 2-perf can lend itself to longer takes, I can attest from my own experience that there's definitely less inhibition in keeping the camera running when you're rolling 2-perf than when rolling 4-perf!

#7 Leo Anthony Vale

Leo Anthony Vale
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2010 posts
  • Other
  • Pittsburgh PA

Posted 19 August 2008 - 03:28 PM

Do you know how these work prints were cut? Did they use 2-perf flatbeds, 2-perf upright Moviolas, or what? (I do know of 2-perf projectors, which are extremely rare and expensive, if you can even find one.)
Thanks.

p.s. Regarding the theory that 2-perf can lend itself to longer takes, I can attest from my own experience that there's definitely less inhibition in keeping the camera running when you're rolling 2-perf than when rolling 4-perf!

Frayling's book implies, rather than states, that the work prints were two perf.
He said that Leone's producers laughed at Leone's ineptitude for using this unprojectable format.
I don't own the book so I can't look up the section.

Frayling doesn't go into much technical details, other than mentioning Techniscope is 2 perf.
He does say that Leone's DP figured that Techniscope needed very tight close ups to compensate for its reduced definition.

There was a "swedish" issue of AC in the 70s which mentioned a Swedish process called Interscope, which was techniscope with contact prints so one didn't have to send the film to london for processing and work prints & one could have actual 'dailies' . They must have had at least one 2-perf flatbed.

#8 John Sprung

John Sprung
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4635 posts
  • Other

Posted 19 August 2008 - 03:46 PM

Did they use 2-perf flatbeds, 2-perf upright Moviolas, or what?

Upright cutter moviolas. They were geared to sync the 2 perf picture with 4 perf mag.

-- J.S.

#9 Mike Nichols

Mike Nichols
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • Producer

Posted 19 August 2008 - 09:51 PM

It basically comes down to savings! When I was green and didn't really know much (still don't!) the idea was brought to me to shoot my feature on 2 perf 35mm and get the kick ass 2:35 frame without the cost and issues with shooting anamorphic. I jumped at the opportunity and found my Kinor. She served me well. I think though, in hindsight, 3 Perf might be a good (better?) option for one simple reason. You have SOME latitude in case the boom enters the frame :)

2.35:1 extraction from 3perf is easier than 1.85:1 extraction from 2 perf also.

#10 John Holland

John Holland
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2248 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • London England

Posted 21 August 2008 - 11:32 AM

B+W work prints / rushes/ dailies , that takes me back plus selected scenes printed Colour projected would save us from watching crap DVD's.

#11 Stephen Murphy

Stephen Murphy
  • Guests

Posted 21 August 2008 - 05:09 PM

B+W work prints / rushes/ dailies , that takes me back plus selected scenes printed Colour projected would save us from watching crap DVD's.

Gets my vote!

Paralinx LLC

Ritter Battery

Visual Products

CineTape

Opal

Glidecam

Technodolly

Aerial Filmworks

The Slider

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Wooden Camera