#1 Freya Black

Freya Black
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4161 posts
  • Other
  • Went over the edge... Central Europe

Posted 14 August 2008 - 12:39 PM

Can anyone explain a bit to me about Double Fog filters?

I get the impression they aren't just the equivalent of stacked fog filters or really strong fog filters but are something else with a quality all of their own right?

love

Freya

#2 John Holland

John Holland
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2248 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • London England

Posted 14 August 2008 - 12:54 PM

Freya i have a set somewhere Harrison and Harrison , mine are 1-5 what they are is a fog combined with a low contrast filter .They will be back in fashion soon like my flares . John .

#3 Freya Black

Freya Black
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4161 posts
  • Other

Posted 14 August 2008 - 05:00 PM

Freya i have a set somewhere Harrison and Harrison , mine are 1-5 what they are is a fog combined with a low contrast filter .They will be back in fashion soon like my flares . John .

*giggle*
I take it they have a 70's association! ;)
I think I might know the look you are thinking of, maybe like Richard Clayderman LP covers where people are walking through the trees holding parasols or something.
At least it's not an 80's association.

Maybe *I* will bring them back into fashion. As you might guess I'm intrested in dream sequence type effects or something like that! ;)

I was just reading on the tiffen site that they give an effect where foreground objects are more detailed than further away stuff (hang on isn't that like normal life?) or that they are less foggy or something, so maybe it could make it look like a creature/humanoid is emerging out of the fog as it gets closer to the camera?

Or will it not work like that?

As to the fog effect, I have a tiffen fog 1 filter and I'm wondering if it might be a bit too weak so I was thinking I could try stacking it with a tiffen diffusion 1 filter I also have or for that matter an old Hoya diffusion filter I have? I'm wondering if that will just look very diffused instead of foggy tho.

love

Freya

#4 Serge Teulon

Serge Teulon
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • London UK

Posted 15 August 2008 - 11:33 AM

It's funny that this topic should come up...I was only the other day looking at several photos that employed the double fog filter. Whilst looking at these photos, I had a feeling that the filter will become fashionable again. Just like flares....

Is this synchronicity?!

Edited by Serge Teulon, 15 August 2008 - 11:34 AM.

#5 John Holland

John Holland
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2248 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • London England

Posted 15 August 2008 - 11:46 AM

Freya yes i have got your drift there . I have never used anything more than the No. 1 yes they are less "foggy" dont ask me why , i just like what they do to highlights .

#6 David Rakoczy

David Rakoczy
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1579 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • USA

Posted 15 August 2008 - 01:18 PM

Freya, Double Fogs don't actually look like 'Fog' at all. So to answer your question.. no, they won't behave that way. Double Fogs are a great way to Soften, Slightly Desaturate and scatter Light into adjacent Blacks. I used them on ASYLUM .. Double Fogs and Black Pro-Mists in combo the entire Show.

Edited by David Rakoczy, 15 August 2008 - 01:19 PM.

#7 Brian Drysdale

Brian Drysdale
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5070 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 15 August 2008 - 02:38 PM

From memory, "Camelot" in 1967 DP Richard Kline was the first film to use double fogs.

#8 Freya Black

Freya Black
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4161 posts
  • Other

Posted 18 August 2008 - 03:36 PM

Freya, Double Fogs don't actually look like 'Fog' at all. So to answer your question.. no, they won't behave that way. Double Fogs are a great way to Soften, Slightly Desaturate and scatter Light into adjacent Blacks. I used them on ASYLUM .. Double Fogs and Black Pro-Mists in combo the entire Show.

Do you mean you stacked double fogs and black pro mists?
Or perhaps that you used double fog for some shots and pro-mist for another?

Perhaps you have a screenshot you could show me. I've seen the tiffen example but it seems decidedly unhelpful to get an idea.

I take it that they are more misty than full on fog although perhaps they become more like fog in the higher densities?

Perhaps Black Pro Mists are a good example as I'm sure most people never really think of them as being fog filters or even Mist filters for that matter!

Thanks for your help.

love

Freya

#9 Freya Black

Freya Black
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4161 posts
  • Other

Posted 18 August 2008 - 03:38 PM

From memory, "Camelot" in 1967 DP Richard Kline was the first film to use double fogs.

Ah! A slightly mystical look maybe? Or should that be a mist-tical look? <groan>

love

Freya

#10 Freya Black

Freya Black
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4161 posts
  • Other

Posted 18 August 2008 - 03:47 PM

Is this synchronicity?!

More than synchronicity!
It is the gestalt awareness that double fog will be the new way.
All those 35mm Adaptors are on their way out and there must be a new must have item to achieve that film look, and it will be double fog. We know it in that place where strange things move and flow.

The future is double fog.

love

Freya

#11 David Rakoczy

David Rakoczy
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1579 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • USA

Posted 18 August 2008 - 04:23 PM

Hi Freya.. I stacked them... used Double Fogs and Black Pro Mists together (at the same time). ASYLUM is on my Feature Demo Reel. They really won't 'stand out' to you... but there they are.... again, they really don't look like 'fog' ..

#12 John Sprung

John Sprung
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4635 posts
  • Other

Posted 19 August 2008 - 02:02 PM

It's impossible for any filter to look like real fog. The problem is that the whole filter is between the film and everything in the frame. In real fog, the farther the object, the more fog there is between it and the camera. That lets you have actors walk towards camera and emerge out of the fog.

-- J.S.

Paralinx LLC

Ritter Battery

Metropolis Post

Rig Wheels Passport

Wooden Camera

FJS International, LLC

Technodolly

CineLab

The Slider

Opal

Broadcast Solutions Inc