#1 Nick Norton

Nick Norton
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
  • Student
  • Chicago

Posted 14 August 2008 - 02:57 PM

I am picking up my Eclair ACL later tonight (shaking with excitement) and wanted to test it out.

However, i have no film for it at the moment. Can i run the motor without film, or is this bad for the camera?

thanks-

nicholas

#2 Saul Rodgar

Saul Rodgar
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1682 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 14 August 2008 - 06:21 PM

I wouldn't run it at high speed for an extended period of time (more than 2-3 sec's), if at all. But running it at lower speeds for short intervals (less than 10 sec's) is not going to destroy the motor. While the motor is designed to run with film and not without, I have never seen one just burn out immediately if run without film for a short bit.

You can always run any clean leader or old clean film through it if you are concerned and have something like that lying around -which is a good idea, so don't trash any short ends you are not gonna use in the future, this is why they are kept around.

Good luck with the camera.

#3 Jason M Hinkle

Jason M Hinkle

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Other

Posted 14 August 2008 - 11:21 PM

However, i have no film for it at the moment. Can i run the motor without film, or is this bad for the camera?

Congrats on the purchase! I fuss with my camera all the time and running without film is not a problem - I don't walk around running it all day long, of course. As Nick suggested, you should get yourself a roll of used film - you can use that to practice loading film as well so you don't goof up your good film. It helps if you have a really short amount like 25' or less so you can load, run it through, then load again (in other words you don't need to run 400' of used film just to practice re-loading)

Also, i just found the cheapest price on stock here - http://www.tapesuper...k16mmfilm1.html - if anybody knows any better place to get stock, lemme know. I just shot some vision3 for the first time yesterday - I'm psyched to see the results.

Edited by Jason H, 14 August 2008 - 11:23 PM.

#4 Jason M Hinkle

Jason M Hinkle

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Other

Posted 14 August 2008 - 11:28 PM

oops - meant to say "as Saul suggested"

Edited by Jason H, 14 August 2008 - 11:28 PM.

FJS International, LLC

Paralinx LLC

Opal

CineTape

Wooden Camera

Ritter Battery

rebotnix Technologies

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Tai Audio

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Rig Wheels Passport

Metropolis Post