#1 Greg Corso

Greg Corso

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 14 August 2008 - 05:57 PM

Let me know what you think. Any criticism is good criticism, just don't be a dick please. lol Making movies are hard. Good or bad they still take a lot of hard work. enjoy!

The theme of the festival was to pick one of the 36 tracks off of the entirely instrumental Nine Inch Nails album Trent Reznor released last year, and make a film for it based on the vision it gave you. Two of my friends and I put this together.

32 Ghosts IV - The Following

Directed and Acted by: Mike Carvajal,
Cinematography and Editor: Greg Corso (me)
Actress and co-editor: Alyssa Mollica.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.c...></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.c...b5Q&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

#2 Greg Corso

Greg Corso

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 14 August 2008 - 06:17 PM

wooooops wrong thread. i apologize, i'm a noob to this site. and the link didn't work so here it is

Edited by Greg Corso, 14 August 2008 - 06:22 PM.

#3 Ira Ratner

Ira Ratner
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts
  • Other
  • Coral Springs, Florida

Posted 17 August 2008 - 10:46 AM

This is a great example of cinematography being at least 50% audio. I am no one to talk at all, just a viewer:

I LOVED the film work, but the music drove me crazy.

This would make a great film school project--taking the same video, and giving it different audio treatments.

Again, I am JUST commenting as someone watching it, not an expert, and although I know the intent of the audio was to drive suspense, to me t was just annoying. It's a tough nut to crack, because where do you easily find appropriate music in the first place?

Again, VERY well done! A LOT of interesting camera techniques that DID keep me interested,

#4 Greg Corso

Greg Corso

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 18 August 2008 - 10:17 PM

This is a great example of cinematography being at least 50% audio. I am no one to talk at all, just a viewer:

I LOVED the film work, but the music drove me crazy.

This would make a great film school project--taking the same video, and giving it different audio treatments.

Again, I am JUST commenting as someone watching it, not an expert, and although I know the intent of the audio was to drive suspense, to me t was just annoying. It's a tough nut to crack, because where do you easily find appropriate music in the first place?

Again, VERY well done! A LOT of interesting camera techniques that DID keep me interested,

thanks for the review. i will agree with you it is driven by the audio, however, the whole project was to design a video around a song on the Nine inch nails ghosts album. Even with that as the project the film was edited with no music behind it. I simply looked for the best song that would go with the video once i finished my edit. I do feel music is over used in film now a day. This film probably would fair much better with some good sound and folly work, and maybe some subtle music behind it. Thanks again! I'll definitely keep your advice in mind if i ever choose to do a reedit.

#5 Alex Ellerman

Alex Ellerman
  • Sustaining Members
  • 228 posts
  • Other
  • Chicago

Posted 19 August 2008 - 07:45 AM

Greg - i really enjoyed... i thought the music worked for the piece... i think you need to tighten up some edits/choices...

1. the zoom out and then pause on the computer screen. you need to cut on the zoom out, not after the zoom out is finished. that looks like video.

2. the reverse angles on the guy stalking the girl. The ones where you show his face, even though it's down, don't work. the one where his arm just accidently crosses the side of the frame remind me of Roman Polanski shot the scene of the woman on the phone in Rosemary's Baby (sort of). she leans forward while in their bedroom, talking on the phone, her face out of sight.

3. i would definitely not show him until he grabs the girl, and even then, i might not do it the way you did it. that might be the time to be closeup on her face and just have him envelope her. Not sure. I would want to convey terror at that point.

Aerial Filmworks

Glidecam

FJS International, LLC

CineTape

Willys Widgets

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Technodolly

Wooden Camera

Metropolis Post

Paralinx LLC

Abel Cine

Visual Products