#1 dbguy

dbguy

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Student

Posted 14 August 2008 - 11:35 PM

Sorry if i posted in the wrong section, I'm new to this forum and I was wondering what HD camcorder should i look into? my budget is $250, any suggestions? was looking into the canon dc 330 or 320... what you guys think?

#2 Chris Keth

Chris Keth
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4427 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Los Angeles

Posted 15 August 2008 - 12:09 AM

You might look to a consumer video forum that has reviews. I don't know how familiar people here will be with consumer cameras; I know I don't know anything about specific models.

#3 Kelly Abbott

Kelly Abbott

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Director

Posted 15 August 2008 - 04:58 PM

You should save a bit longer and then try getting the cannon hv20 or subsequent models - it's HD. You can obtain these from a circuit city for around $940 or less. You'll need to shoot in Mini-dv mode which the camera allows until you get an editing machine with a raid harddrive controller so you can download hd fast enough, as well as enough storage for the hd. For now shoot mini-dv on that camera though. You'll need to get an adapter for a professional mic - beach tek is one such company that sells adapters for the cannon hv20's ( they have at least one later model out that appears only to be a different color -black). I would say grab sound with a dat recoder, but if it's your first project you don't need to be synching sound. Still don't use the on camera mic - get an adapter that gives you an xlr plug in($100-$150 and again beach tek is one such brand that will fit your camera) and then a professional boom mic. Synheyers mics are too expensive for beginners, audio technica mics are about $100 and are not bad. Don't even think of going lavalier or wireless yet, they're are a nightmare on a first shoot.. okay on any shoot so stick to booms to start.

There are other sites that can help you out if you find sites that are too snobbish for first time filmmakers - indieclub.com is one such site that will welcome your beginning questions.

Good luck!

#4 Andrew Koch

Andrew Koch
  • Sustaining Members
  • 243 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Burbank, California

Posted 15 August 2008 - 05:16 PM

Go to "my controls" and change your screen name to your first and last name as this is a requirement of this forum. Since you are new to this forum and are working with consumer electronics, I would suggest posting in the students and first time filmmakers section. I am not saying this to be a snob, I am saying this because you will probably get more helpful advice in that section because members will get a better idea of where you are coming from. They will already be aware that you are dealing with a very small budget and can work with that and won't suggest shooting on 65mm. (Sorry, very cheesy example)

Abel Cine

Broadcast Solutions Inc

The Slider

Visual Products

Rig Wheels Passport

FJS International, LLC

Tai Audio

Paralinx LLC

Metropolis Post

Glidecam

CineTape

Ritter Battery