#1 Tyler Leisher

Tyler Leisher
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
  • Director
  • El Segundo, CA

Posted 15 August 2008 - 06:42 AM

I'll be shooting a short film in two weeks on the Sony HVR-V1U, and I've read around a few places say that it's best to under expose on HDV footage... that is, if we're shooting with windows we should expose for the windows and then fix the rest of the footage in post... because HDV handles under exposed footage better and can't recover from overexposure like a blown out window.

Is this true?

#2 Ronald Carrion

Ronald Carrion
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Student
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 15 August 2008 - 10:48 PM

I'll be shooting a short film in two weeks on the Sony HVR-V1U, and I've read around a few places say that it's best to under expose on HDV footage... that is, if we're shooting with windows we should expose for the windows and then fix the rest of the footage in post... because HDV handles under exposed footage better and can't recover from overexposure like a blown out window.

Is this true?

Well, I have the V1U and I wouldn't recommend that. What I do is to exposure for the object in front of the lens, whether there is window or not. That will open the iris to get the light needed. If you expose for the windows it will look dark when you have a take inside the room and as far I as I know-the V1U can not handle darkness very well. Whatever you do I wouldn't recommend more than 6db of gain and no more than 24 shutter speed other wise you'll get the oil paint effect> Good luck.

#3 Walter Graff

Walter Graff
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1334 posts
  • Other
  • New York City

Posted 22 August 2008 - 08:30 PM

You can recover brights quite well with this camera and and HDV footage for that matter. If your highlights are a stop or two hot, you can find info in post correction. Four stops over and like any video camera there will be little to nothing.

Opal

Wooden Camera

Aerial Filmworks

Visual Products

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Tai Audio

Rig Wheels Passport

FJS International, LLC

Glidecam

Ritter Battery

Paralinx LLC

The Slider