Photo

Speilberg's War of The Worlds 360 car shot. How?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Kenny Doughty

Kenny Doughty

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Director
  • London

Posted 19 August 2008 - 04:09 PM

Hi All

Recently watched Speilberg's War Of The Worlds again starring Tom Cruise. Now there is one scene that I can't figure out how they shot.

If you know the film a quick reminder of the scene. Tom Cruise is driving away with his kids on the highway. We see him swerve around cars etc whilst driving and doing a dialog scene.

The wholes scene appears to be shot in one take - the camera starts on the hood shooting in at the driver and passenger and then begins it's journey. The camera begins a 360 anti clockwise around the driving car and if that's not enough - it then does an amazing pull out to allow the car to drive off.

All in one shot! But of course it couldn't be could it?

If you know which scene I mean and have any ideas or knowledge on how it was done I would love to know.

Many Thanks

Kenny D.
London.

#2 timHealy

timHealy
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1252 posts
  • Other
  • New York

Posted 19 August 2008 - 10:25 PM

This shot has been talked about before. I has a few elements. There are helicopter shots for the beginning and end. There are camera car shots following the real car on the real highway with a Russian Arm crane. There are studio shots of the actors in a fake car against greenscreen. And finally a Jeep was outfitted with 8 cameras to shoot real background plates on the real highway. Did I forget something?

And the effects guys stitched them all together.

Best

Tim

#3 Kenny Doughty

Kenny Doughty

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Director
  • London

Posted 20 August 2008 - 02:37 AM

This shot has been talked about before. I has a few elements. There are helicopter shots for the beginning and end. There are camera car shots following the real car on the real highway with a Russian Arm crane. There are studio shots of the actors in a fake car against greenscreen. And finally a Jeep was outfitted with 8 cameras to shoot real background plates on the real highway. Did I forget something?

And the effects guys stitched them all together.

Best

Tim

Do you know where I could read up on it? That's pretty amazing.

Best

Kenny

#4 Adam Frisch FSF

Adam Frisch FSF
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2009 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, USA

Posted 20 August 2008 - 04:25 AM

I've used the Russian Arm head a couple of times now - lastly on a Honda commercial in Frankfurt where we tracked numerous cars from a crane tracking vehicle.

The head is called the Flight Head IV and it's a great piece of equipment. Fast to set up, light, strong and rock steady. Even on really long lenses with a constantly moving tracking vehicle and subject car, it delivered very stable results. There's a reason this Ukranian gear has won a technical Oscar and works a lot in Hollywood. They've just released a 4-axis stab head as well, if such needs should arise.

As far as I know it's the only gyro stabilized arm in the world, but I haven't used it yet. I'll try to convince the producers to get me the arm for the next low budget car shoot..;-)

#5 Will Earl

Will Earl
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  • Other
  • Wellington, NZ

Posted 20 August 2008 - 05:46 AM

Do you know where I could read up on it? That's pretty amazing.

Try either American Cinematographer or Cinefex...

http://www.cinefex.c...s/issue103.html

#6 K Borowski

K Borowski
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3905 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • I.A.T.S.E. Local # 600 Eastern Region

Posted 20 August 2008 - 05:03 PM

Can someone please move this to an appropriate fora other than this one? This forum is more suited to discussions of whole movies. Maybe it'd be best in the "Special Effects" forum instead.

#7 Jonathan Bowerbank

Jonathan Bowerbank
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2815 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • San Francisco, CA

Posted 20 August 2008 - 09:28 PM

Can someone please move this to an appropriate fora other than this one? This forum is more suited to discussions of whole movies. Maybe it'd be best in the "Special Effects" forum instead.

No offense Karl, but does it REALLY matter? This thread is dead now anyways, he he

#8 K Borowski

K Borowski
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3905 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • I.A.T.S.E. Local # 600 Eastern Region

Posted 22 August 2008 - 04:00 PM

No offense Karl, but does it REALLY matter? This thread is dead now anyways, he he

None taken. And it wasn't dead, it was life support, until it just. . . died. . . now. . . ;)

Wooden Camera

FJS International, LLC

rebotnix Technologies

Tai Audio

The Slider

Technodolly

Ritter Battery

Metropolis Post

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Rig Wheels Passport

CineLab

Opal