Nick Cutway

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Orlando, FL

Posted 20 August 2008 - 11:09 AM

Does anyone have good lighting ideas for inside a closed store at night.

I'm shooting a student short film on super 16mm. Were using an arri srIII and a 3 ton lighting package. We are building our own set. The set is an old furniture store with a show room filled with furniture and a store room in the back with a bathroom. The film takes place all at night in a small blue collar city. I would just like to know if anyone had any ideas for lighting the inside of the closed store.

#2 John Sprung

John Sprung
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4635 posts
  • Other

Posted 20 August 2008 - 12:47 PM

Well, just hard lights from far away, thru the windows and furniture making shadows all over. They'd be motivated as street lights, so you could go with a mercury or sodium look if you want. A ceiling practical in the bathroom, likewise pouring out thru the door. Very soft bounce fill way down, like 3-4 stops.

-- J.S.

#3 Nick Cutway

Nick Cutway

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Orlando, FL

Posted 20 August 2008 - 01:32 PM

Thanks, I was thinking to use a studio 5k outside with quarter cto with tungsten film to give it that orange street light. and some red on a flicker to mimic a street light blinking. I just need some ideas making the talent and furniture separated from the background without everything being way darker. I was thinking of floating some keno's and bouncing them for fill. I just don't know have many ideas on how to light the walls and furniture.
-nick

#4 Jim Keller

Jim Keller
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts
  • Producer
  • Fresno, CA

Posted 20 August 2008 - 05:22 PM

Thanks, I was thinking to use a studio 5k outside with quarter cto with tungsten film to give it that orange street light. and some red on a flicker to mimic a street light blinking. I just need some ideas making the talent and furniture separated from the background without everything being way darker. I was thinking of floating some keno's and bouncing them for fill. I just don't know have many ideas on how to light the walls and furniture.
-nick

Since you're building your own set, don't discount the power of painting it in "night colors" (highly desaturated, darker tones), which would then let you separate your cast from the background the old fashioned way -- with some subtle backlight. As long as the light from the street is dominant in the audience's eye (and I think that sounds like an excellent choice), they won't really notice the backlight.

#5 Evan Pierre

Evan Pierre
  • Guests

Posted 21 August 2008 - 01:31 AM

If this was mine to light I would have the store room lit with some greenish ceiling fluorescents randomly (but strategically) spaced out along the ceiling. In the same way that stores like the one you described never turn all of the lights out at night, I imagine this one with pools of light and darkness for your characters to interact with.

However I have no idea what your script is about and as such the mood I want to portray might not match up at all with your story. :]

#6 Nick Cutway

Nick Cutway

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Orlando, FL

Posted 21 August 2008 - 09:02 AM

We also have a few shots outside one of our set walls (which is inside the soundstage) Does anyone have any ideas how to light for that, or something we can put behind that wall, or lamp posts, trees, just anything to make it believable to be a night scene outside showing our talent walking in. The shots were going to choose are all tight with a long lens. but it is a store so the windows are 5'x3'.

-nick

Opal

Tai Audio

The Slider

Ritter Battery

CineTape

Rig Wheels Passport

Glidecam

Aerial Filmworks

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Abel Cine