• Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 811 posts
  • Director
  • United Kingdom

Posted 21 August 2008 - 01:30 PM

Hi everyone

http://www.mydeo.com...D...&CID=214220

This is a concept trailer for a proposed screenplay I would like to raise money for. Does it work? Could it be improved?

Tia

Mark :)

#2 Jim Keller

Jim Keller
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts
  • Producer
  • Fresno, CA

Posted 21 August 2008 - 03:56 PM

Personally, I'm not fond of using pre-vis animation in a trailer, because I find myself watching the animation (which is always clunky) and not the content. But I think your selection of shots, music, editing, etc. is solid.

In place of the MPAA card (which you shouldn't use unless the MPAA has actually screened and approved the trailer) you may want to consider putting up a card that explains that the "trailer" is pre-visualization and not the visual aesthetic of the final production.

#3 Richard Boddington

Richard Boddington
  • Sustaining Members
  • 5482 posts
  • Director

Posted 21 August 2008 - 11:21 PM

Well to be honest with you Mark, I assume that's what you want, I wouldn't use that piece to pitch a movie. It will hinder the project more than it helps.

If you're going to use a pitch trailer then it needs to be live action, and the best live action demo you can possibly do. The idea is to show off your production skills, and get people excited about the project.

What you have here looks like an animatic style of animation that a director, DOP, and VFX team, may use to plan out a scene. And even then most productions use traditional story boards.

From a story perspective the piece gives no indication as to what this film is all about. There would need to be a lot more VO, flying text, SOTs, some thing.....what you have now is a mish mash of visuals.

I'm not trying to be a jerk :huh: It's just that from my experience I can see situations where showing that trailer will hurt more than help. And your script and concept may in fact be really good.

I hope we are still buddies.

R,

#4 Saul Rodgar

Saul Rodgar
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1682 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 21 August 2008 - 11:35 PM

I didn't get the plot by watching the trailer, see Richard's post above as to why. Something to do with Jesus, planes, secrecy, something about some bloke being "the one"? As Jim said the animation attracts too much attention to itself. Go with live action and non-whispered dialog. Forget subtlety, spell out your idea fast as you only have a few seconds (30 tops) to catch the viewers attention or it's gone forever.

#5 Mark Williams

Mark Williams
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 811 posts
  • Director
  • United Kingdom

Posted 22 August 2008 - 02:57 AM

Thanks Guys many thoughts have been echoed I have already had in making a concept trailer.

Thanks Jim Yes I agree with you here! I believe as an action concept trailer it works. If filmed those scenes would be awesome.

Hi Richard! Yes live action could be a good route to go.
and yes its a concept trailer to plan out live action sequences for a real trailer
Perhaps a good voiceover is whats needed. I tried my own and I tried to hire one. Me not being very good and hiring one would cost lots. Im not a fan of titles or giving to much plot away.
Thanks for your honesty and of course we are still buddies. Your critcism is constructive and helpful.

Any voiceover artists? Willing to contribute. I have a script?

Saul its an Action concept trailer. Im not trying to give away the plot here But a taster for the action and genre. The reason for animation is cost and I have thought about doing some scenes with live actors if it passes a certain level of interest.

:)

#6 Jim Keller

Jim Keller
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts
  • Producer
  • Fresno, CA

Posted 22 August 2008 - 07:26 PM

Perhaps a good voiceover is whats needed. I tried my own and I tried to hire one. Me not being very good and hiring one would cost lots. Im not a fan of titles or giving to much plot away.

Sadly, what you really need is Don LaFontaine. Anyone else is going to sound like you couldn't afford Don LaFontaine. :)

I, for one, am going to jump to your defense on the "no plot" criticism. I very much took this to be a teaser trailer, and I don't mind when teaser trailers don't give much away. In fact, I prefer it to the trailers where I finish watching it and think, "At least I don't need to see the movie now. I know the whole story."

But I remain in the camp that the pre-vis animation isn't the best approach. Any hope of getting production started (enough to get a real trailer with the actual talent put together) and then going after "completion funds"? :)

#7 Mark Williams

Mark Williams
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 811 posts
  • Director
  • United Kingdom

Posted 23 August 2008 - 01:30 AM

Jim I agree with you... There are enough examples of this out there.

Any hope of getting production started (enough to get a real trailer with the actual talent put together) and then going after "completion funds"? :)

None at this point in time. The goal at the moment is to get some interest in the script with some kind of visualisation for potential producers.

Mark

rebotnix Technologies

The Slider

CineTape

Ritter Battery

Opal

Tai Audio

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Rig Wheels Passport

Wooden Camera

Abel Cine

Metropolis Post