#1 Neil Stubbings

Neil Stubbings

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Director

Posted 22 August 2008 - 02:28 AM

I recently got a Canon 518 SV Autozoom. While all the functions seen to work properly, I have some doubts about the automatic lightmetering.

When no cartridge is inside i can look through the shutter while its running and I see the aperture moving as the light changes.

When I put in a Ektachrome 64T cartridge the needle in the viewfinder hardly seems to move. So i pulled out the cartridge and tried to press the notches according to the cartride and look throught the shutter again. And the aperture does not seem to move, well at least it stays open even if the camera is pointed towards the bright sky.

This does not make any sense to me, as the the lightmeter and aperture seems to work ok as far theres no cartridge inserted. Also the manual aperture works fine.
Or is it because the 64T is such a low speed film that the aperture remains far open even if pontted at the bright sky?

I'm taking the camera on a california vacation in a few days and have no chance to expose a
testcartridge (I am in switzerland and turnaround time for super8 processing is long)
It would be a bummer if my 10 rolls turned out to be overexposed completely.

any ideas?

Rig Wheels Passport

Glidecam

CineLab

FJS International, LLC

Tai Audio

Abel Cine

Metropolis Post

Opal

Wooden Camera

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Technodolly