Red Starter Kit

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Alexandre Lucena

Alexandre Lucena
  • Guests

Posted 24 August 2008 - 08:08 AM

Hi,

I have decide to go Red and I would be glad to know what list of items are necessary to get
a very basic 4k system running. I believe a Nykon mount would be the cheapest option. But what does it require in computing? Would it be possible to run it in a PC? Do I have to buy expensive software or will Final Cut take care of it all?

P.S I am a father of two childen and this is my investment to provide income.

Yours

Alexandre Lucena.

#2 Gary McClurg

Gary McClurg
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • Producer

Posted 24 August 2008 - 08:25 AM

Its hard to tell from your post... have you shot with a high end camera before...

My background I'm a producer of small independent feature films... that end up on Showtime, Sci-Fi Channel, etc. and go straight to DVD... since I'm not a shooter... I would think that you would have to look at it the same way I do... can I afford not so much the camera but the post workflow... in both our cases... could we get enough rentals to cover the cost of the camera and all the goodies that go with it...

I've heard some claim that its anywhere from $25k to $30k for a basic model... when I add up my numbers it comes to more like $40k... so could we recoup that in a year... if so I say yes... once you know that your clients can handle the workflow issues... and of course... just my opinion... when all the bugs are worked out.... again I'm not a shooter... so I want some thing that I can just go to the rental house... pick up off the shelf and have no worries since its a tried and tested format that's been around a while... but again you have to make up your mind can I make enough money off it to pay for it in a year... if so and you know all the problems that come with being a renter.. go for it...

A friend emailed me yesterday about working with FCP and he's pro Red... he's leaning towards the upcoming Scarlet... here's a small part of his email...

RED's workflow with Apple is pretty straight forward currently if you don't mind editing with proxies then relinking the finished film to the R3D files. Since your focus is DVD release, then finishing with the 1080 proxy clips would probably suit you really well, and then if you got distribution you'd always have the 4K R3Ds to do an online with. There are supposedly some pretty impressive things in the pipeline for FCP. At least that's what the Off Hollywood guy keeps saying on REDUser and then he flaunts his NDA in front of everyone, so I guess he'd be the person to know. Apple has announced that Color will eventually support R3D files natively which would make doing an online pretty easy with FCP.

Adobe has native support of R3D in their apps now, which is pretty impressive, and currently the best workflow for RED in my opinion. I'm just not crazy about Adobe software and definitely not crazy about buying a new editing system just for RED. Oh well, the SDK is out now and by the time Scarlet ships I'm confident the workflow will be as seamless as the P2 workflow is now.

#3 Gary McClurg

Gary McClurg
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • Producer

Posted 24 August 2008 - 08:43 AM

For fun just went to the Red store...

Here's what I added to my order... production pack (I've heard buy after market here), Red Pro 7" LCD, EVF, Red arm, Red 18-50 zoom, Red 50-150 zoom (of course you can get cheaper and some say better glass for the same price or lower), power pack (2), extra bricks (2, so a total of six bricks and two chargers), battery belt clip, battery plate, ac adapter, 8 gig cf cards (5, two 8 gigs for less than 1 16g, but I'm sure there might be a reason to go with the 16gig cards).... and I'm at $26,465 and I haven't added the body, matte box (some like the Red Rock for $800), follow focus, fluid head, both standard and baby legs, hit-hat, plus the after market audio interface, etc...

So I'm really at $50k.... maybe go with the Nikon, Zeiss or Canon mount and knock off $7k in glass costs...

Edited by Gary McClurg, 24 August 2008 - 08:47 AM.

#4 Mitch Gross

Mitch Gross
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2873 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 25 August 2008 - 11:18 AM

My advice is don't do it. Not as a business model to provide income. There are several thousand RED One cameras out there and some individuals are renting them for something like $500/day with a more complete package than you plan and the owner as an ad-hoc camera tech to boot. That makes it a pretty tough business model unless you already have some faithful clients lined up.

#5 Mark Bonnington

Mark Bonnington
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
  • Other
  • Redmond, WA

Posted 14 September 2008 - 03:20 AM

For fun just went to the Red store...

Here's what I added to my order... production pack (I've heard buy after market here), Red Pro 7" LCD, EVF, Red arm, Red 18-50 zoom, Red 50-150 zoom (of course you can get cheaper and some say better glass for the same price or lower), power pack (2), extra bricks (2, so a total of six bricks and two chargers), battery belt clip, battery plate, ac adapter, 8 gig cf cards (5, two 8 gigs for less than 1 16g, but I'm sure there might be a reason to go with the 16gig cards).... and I'm at $26,465 and I haven't added the body, matte box (some like the Red Rock for $800), follow focus, fluid head, both standard and baby legs, hit-hat, plus the after market audio interface, etc...

So I'm really at $50k.... maybe go with the Nikon, Zeiss or Canon mount and knock off $7k in glass costs...

Regarding the CF cards, the 8GB cards are not nearly as fast as the 16GB cards. The 16GB cards can capture faster frame rates from the camera.

#6 Peter Moretti

Peter Moretti
  • Sustaining Members
  • 306 posts
  • Other
  • Sherman Oaks, CA

Posted 23 September 2008 - 11:45 AM

Hi,

I have decide to go Red and I would be glad to know what list of items are necessary to get
a very basic 4k system running. I believe a Nykon mount would be the cheapest option. But what does it require in computing? Would it be possible to run it in a PC? Do I have to buy expensive software or will Final Cut take care of it all?

Yours

Alexandre Lucena.

I'm not sure how spending $35,000 on digital cinema camera becomes an income source for raising two children. Are you thinking of renting the camera out? Making a money on your own films? Working as a DP w/ equipment for hire? Do you edit, color grade, mix audio?

I just not sure how buying a Red helps to pay for raising two children. I can think of scenarios where it could, but how are you planing on doing it?

Technodolly

Opal

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Tai Audio

Ritter Battery

The Slider

Metropolis Post

Paralinx LLC

CineTape

Rig Wheels Passport

CineLab

Visual Products