1 reply to this topic

#1 stephenbyron

stephenbyron
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 24 August 2008 - 09:31 AM

Soon I'll be shooting a short film using a Beaulieu 4008II and a canon 310xl. I'll be using the canon for the dimly lit indoor and outdoor night scenes using Kodak 500t. I'll be using the Beaulieu for daytime indoor and outdoor scenes using 200T for outside and 500T for inside. It will be my first time using theses color films.
I have a spot meter, but I'd like to use the automatic features on the Beaulieu as much as possible.

Now, from my earlier thread, I learned that I need to notch 500T for my canon to read correctly so;

1. Canon 310xl- Should I leave the 500t unnotched if the light is very low to purposely over expose or will this create problems in color and contrast?
2. Canon 310 xl- Do I need to notch 200t for correct exposure as well?
3. Beaulieu- 500T where should I set my asa speed on the camera for the automatic exposure to read correctly?
4. Beaulieu- 200T where should I set my asa speed on the camera for the automatic exposure to read correctly?
5. Meter- 500T where should I set my asa on my meter
6. Meter-200T where should I set my asa on my meter

7. Any advice on my choice of films/cameras for their respective settings?

Thanks to all.

#2 Andy_Alderslade

Andy_Alderslade
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1055 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • London, UK

Posted 24 August 2008 - 04:20 PM

Soon I'll be shooting a short film using a Beaulieu 4008II and a canon 310xl. I'll be using the canon for the dimly lit indoor and outdoor night scenes using Kodak 500t. I'll be using the Beaulieu for daytime indoor and outdoor scenes using 200T for outside and 500T for inside. It will be my first time using theses color films.
I have a spot meter, but I'd like to use the automatic features on the Beaulieu as much as possible.

Now, from my earlier thread, I learned that I need to notch 500T for my canon to read correctly so;

1. Canon 310xl- Should I leave the 500t unnotched if the light is very low to purposely over expose or will this create problems in color and contrast?
2. Canon 310 xl- Do I need to notch 200t for correct exposure as well?
3. Beaulieu- 500T where should I set my asa speed on the camera for the automatic exposure to read correctly?
4. Beaulieu- 200T where should I set my asa speed on the camera for the automatic exposure to read correctly?
5. Meter- 500T where should I set my asa on my meter
6. Meter-200T where should I set my asa on my meter

7. Any advice on my choice of films/cameras for their respective settings?

Thanks to all.

Super 8 cameras are old, so are the light meter's inside them, so you are always best off using a checked light meter of some kind - after all shooting negative and getting a telecine is expensive.

With the Canon you will definitely be better of using your spot-meter in conjunction with a greyscale, by taking a reading of the 18% grey area while the grey scale is held in the area you wish to expose correctly - for example where your actors face is going to be.

Just remember if you are using a Wratten 85 filter to open up an extra 2/3 of stop from the reading on your meter.

The Beaulieu has an ASA nob on the side of the camera, it only goes up to 400ASA but for your 500T, the 400, 320 or maybe even 250 settings will be fine. John Pytlak of Kodak used to recommend shooting the 200T up to a stop over at 100ASA, but was wary about getting carried away - if you overexpose too much you will only cause digital noise in the telecine.

If you shoot with a Wratten 85 the Beaulieu takes the exposure reading through the lens so will compensate.

The internal light reading will get tricked in certain situations, and may change exposure during pans and movements.

Personally I would use the external light meter for both, but just don't forget about the different shutter angle of the two cameras - its easy to forget about the Beaulieu shutter angle.

Best of luck,
Andy

Tai Audio

Wooden Camera

Opal

Aerial Filmworks

Willys Widgets

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Visual Products

The Slider

Technodolly

Glidecam