Photo

Should I find a new theater, or are these movies just sub-par?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Andrew Sobey

Andrew Sobey
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Student

Posted 25 August 2008 - 12:36 AM

So the last two movies I saw my local theater were Swing Vote and Step Brothers and I'm starting to wonder if maybe the projectionists at the mall are stoned. Both movies had some shots that were soft, some that were extremely grainy (in the middle of an otherwise normal scene), and all sorts of other problems. Has anyone else seen these? Were they just not spectacularly shot movies, or do I need to find a new theater?

And the other theater in town is evil and projects DLP on top of that, so I'm not too eager to go there...

Edited by Andrew Sobey, 25 August 2008 - 12:41 AM.

#2 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 6787 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 25 August 2008 - 01:57 PM

Finding a good/great theater is a pain, and also prints get messed up. Try to see the first showing, when they'll be the cleanest, or one of the earliest ones after release. Even my favorite theater, The Ritz, here in Philadelphia messes up otherwise fine films.
If the film was soft in parts only, and grainy in parts only I would assume that it was shot that way, or was just coming off of a reel-change.

#3 Alessandro Malfatti

Alessandro Malfatti
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • Other
  • Barcelona, Spain

Posted 25 August 2008 - 08:57 PM

Tell me about it, Andrew, living in Mexico teaches you how bad prints can get messed up. Is it normal that one in four or five times I go to see a movie a frame burns through at some point? And I'm not always going to the same theatre, mind you. ;)
Sure, prints get messed up everywhere, and projection is generally not so good any more anywhere in the world, maybe with specialty theatres excluded (watching a foreign print at the "Cineteca Nacional" or at the IMAX, one of the two in the whole capital, probably in the whole country, can you imagine? Two IMAXs in the whole country, there's a hundred million people here ; ) but anyway.)
You shouldn't get too upset about it, not only because it's bad for your blood pressure, but always think, that some people are far worse off than you. Like me... :)

#4 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 6787 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 25 August 2008 - 09:01 PM

Jesus, only 2 IMAX? Hell we have that just in Philadelphia! (ok, one's an Omnimax, but still).

Are both the IMAXes down there 'round Mexico City?

#5 Jonathan Bowerbank

Jonathan Bowerbank
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2815 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • San Francisco, CA

Posted 27 August 2008 - 01:58 AM

Kinda unrelated, but I need to steam...

There's an AMC here in SF that has like 7 floors, 3 of which hold the auditoriums. And if you go there to see a flick anytime between Monday & Thursday, good luck trying to find an employee to alert them about the focus being soft. It happened to me last week, my movie was on the top floor, but the only open concession stand and cust. service was down on the 2nd level...aaarrrrgh!

Well, at least I got a pair of free passes out of it :)

#6 Hal Smith

Hal Smith
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2280 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • OKC area

Posted 27 August 2008 - 06:31 PM

I have yet another reason to hate digital projection in cinemas: Before the new Warren Theater was opened here in the OKC area they promoted the fact that they had a tradition of having one foreign/indy/art house in their multiplexes. And of course, they opened the Moore theater as a 100% digital house...no film...therefore no art house. :(

#7 Michael LaVoie

Michael LaVoie
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 631 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 27 August 2008 - 11:44 PM

Best investment I've made was in a small Optoma HD65 projector. I now watch everything projected 1080p in my apartment on a 5x8 foot screen with dolby surround. Blu-ray is absolutely stellar. Normal DVD's are uprezzed to 1080p and look better than any film projection I've seen in any multiplex. The whole system was under $2000. Time is now for home theater. It's gotten truly amazing. I used to work as a film projectionist at a multiplex when I was in high school and I can tell you that few projectionist take pride in the job and none really care about how the movie looks. I can't go to any movie theater and not find something wrong with the image. Bad framing, scratches, dim bulb. At 10bucks a ticket its' hardly worth it.
The perspective with home theater is actually a lot more accurate anyway. In a movie theater a close up of someones face is strange when it's 50 feet high. With a 6 or 8 foot screen most of the time, you're viewing true human perception and it feels a lot more natural. People are sized on the screen similarly to how they would be if they were in front of you vs viewing them as gargantuan.

#8 Alessandro Malfatti

Alessandro Malfatti
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • Other
  • Barcelona, Spain

Posted 28 August 2008 - 08:18 PM

Wow, your installation sounds awesome, we have a video projector here at home, but its SD and the screen is, well, maybe 3 by 4 or so. It's way better than watching on a TV, but come on, it must be really sweet, what you got there.

Yeah, we have two IMAXs here in the city, funnily both are here in the southern part (take that, north!). But I've got to correct myself, there's also one in Veracruz, one in Guadalajara and one in Monterrey. Still...

#9 K Borowski

K Borowski
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3905 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • I.A.T.S.E. Local # 600 Eastern Region

Posted 05 September 2008 - 08:56 AM

Normal DVD's are uprezzed to 1080p and look better than any film projection I've seen in any multiplex.

No offence, but this is bullshit, at best. Maybe you just have a really really really really bad multiplex that projects their films through dirty glass and a black stocking.

Come on, 4th generation film copies aren't stellar, but they aren't as good as DVDs? That's not even full SD if you're watching widescreen stuff, as they're croppped on the top and the bottom. . .

FJS International, LLC

Aerial Filmworks

Glidecam

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Zylight

CineLab

Paralinx LLC

Tai Audio

Willys Widgets

Metropolis Post

Pro 8mm

Visual Products