#1 Ryan Patrick OHara

Ryan Patrick OHara
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 25 August 2008 - 07:02 PM

Hello everyone, I wrote an in depth article (for no reason) about the camera report and how to maintain one. I was hoping those here could read the article and perhaps catch my errors or even better, provide information of to add.

This is aimed as an 'all-in-one' crash course article for those who know very little or nothing at all about camera reports.

Thank you very much, I look forward to your response.

-ryan

Link here: http://ryanpatrickoh...-right-way.html

#2 Ryan Patrick OHara

Ryan Patrick OHara
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 01 September 2008 - 02:35 PM

I'm going to bumb this just once, and if nothing shakes out assume it's thoroughly accurate. Silence, I guess, can be an answer too.

#3 Jonathan Bowerbank

Jonathan Bowerbank
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2815 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • San Francisco, CA

Posted 01 September 2008 - 09:34 PM

It's all fine and pretty much covers everything.

Personally though, I don't like to attach the report to the back of the slate. Especially with white dry erase ones because then you're blocking it from being backlit.

I like to keep a 6x9 clipboard hanging from my belt, and a hairtie or bongo tie to keep the paper pressed against it.

#4 Hal Smith

Hal Smith
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2280 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • OKC area

Posted 01 September 2008 - 09:54 PM

Best compliment I can pay? I saved the entire archive to my computer. Thanks for the encyclopedic work.

#5 Robert Tagliaferri

Robert Tagliaferri
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 01 September 2008 - 10:27 PM

It's all fine and pretty much covers everything.

Personally though, I don't like to attach the report to the back of the slate. Especially with white dry erase ones because then you're blocking it from being backlit.

I second that. If backlight does hit it you'll even see the report through the slate, making it very hard to read.

Very good guide though!

For what it's worth, I've attached a film inventory form that I typed up a while ago. I copied it out of Doug Hart's book because I couldn't find a good one anywhere. Not exactly a cam report, but it's related. Figured some people might be looking for something like this.

Attached Files

#6 Larry Nielsen

Larry Nielsen
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 03 September 2008 - 04:45 PM

The "Professional Cameramans Handbook" has a great deal of information in it about the proper way to fill out a camera report. In general a simple"A" or"B" will suffice for Camera. also add the full emulsion number, this will help later if you have to find a negative problem which may be a bad batch of film and not limited to one roll. Also when it comes to your fourth report, the one with the 4 squares with footage, it is much neater to do your math on the side and just write the actual footage in this box. Also, a small box with the number in it is best placed in there to show the continuation of a scene and take on a second report. So for instance, you've just completed take 12 of a scene, and you've run out of room on your first camera report so you're going to page 2. Of course the scene number goes in the scene box, and box 3 gets a little square put in it with the number 13. You'll see this in "The Professional Cameramans Handbook" by Carlson and Carlson. Believe it or not the lab, and the people in post will love you, so will the accountants when they look over your neat and clean report to see if they are actually being charged correctly for the amount of film actually be processed and transferred.

Larry

#7 Ryan Patrick OHara

Ryan Patrick OHara
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 06 September 2008 - 02:11 PM

Thanks for the responses! Very helpful.

And thank you Robert for the attachment! Going to take a look at that right now!

Best,
-ryan

#8 diego lopez

diego lopez

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • 2nd Assistant Camera

Posted 10 September 2008 - 01:28 PM

Robert, what I supposes to write un "SORT END"

Thanks for the article