2 replies to this topic

#1 Trevor Masid

Trevor Masid
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 25 August 2008 - 10:59 PM

Sorry if this has been posted in the wrong section, I'm assuming not, because it does have to deal with the film stock shot on, but if it belongs somewhere else.. just let me know.

Anyways, I was curious if you guys had any idea how to achieve this kind of look, it's one that I'm definitely interested in using in my next project.

mainly the interior classroom scenes where the skintones are basically yellow, and the "blood" or whatever that is flowing to the drain is almost completely black.

any and all help is much appreciated, thanks!

#2 Saul Rodgar

Saul Rodgar
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1682 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 26 August 2008 - 12:05 AM

mainly the interior classroom scenes where the skintones are basically yellow, and the "blood" or whatever that is flowing to the drain is almost completely black.

The classroom looks like it was lit with fluorescent practical (the existing) lights using tungsten balanced film and then timed halfway between yellow and green(?). I could be wrong, but it looks like the yellow skin tones were created in post as opposed to on camera. In any case, it could be replicated that way, I am fairly sure. With digital color grading you can do just about anything these days . . .

Edited by Saul Rodgar, 26 August 2008 - 12:07 AM.

#3 Andrew Koch

Andrew Koch
  • Sustaining Members
  • 243 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Burbank, California

Posted 26 August 2008 - 03:38 AM

I think this look could be achieved through a combination of production design, lighting, and post work. I find that production designers don't always get the credit they deserve. The blood can be almost black looking by using very dark red syrup. That said, the images are rather contrasty and low in saturation. Bleach bypassing the negative can increase your contrast and lwer your saturation. You could also try pushing the film to make the highlights blow. But I'm not exactly sure what the cinematographer did in the video so I can't say.

You also need to change your screenname. Go to "my controls" and change it to your first and last name as this is a requirement of the forum

CineTape

Willys Widgets

Glidecam

Tai Audio

Rig Wheels Passport

Opal

Wooden Camera

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Aerial Filmworks

Paralinx LLC

rebotnix Technologies

The Slider