#1 Kim Hughes

Kim Hughes

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 29 August 2008 - 12:01 AM

I am working on a 35mm film for my final project in film school. While I am familiar with the equipment, I am still learning even the basics as I go.

The movie is set in the Warsaw Ghetto, Poland, during WWII. The basic story is that our three characters are trying to cross the Ghetto and escape before the uprising begins. We are shooting on Kodak 5279 (500T) and skipping the bleach in processing.

1. One scene takes place in a kitchen (shot on a soundstage), which will have practicals (candles) scattered throughout the room. I've been told the best way to light this is by placing China Balls at a low angle. Is there a different/better way to do this?

2. Also in the kitchen, we want to have a colder light (most likely HMI) shining in through the window. (Not an intense light; the motivation for the "outdoor" light in the Ghetto are guard lights.) How will the warm/cold tones mix together on the film stock?

3. Since the film stock is tungsten balanced, am I wrong in thinking that tungsten light will appear white on the film? If so, which gel should I use to make the lights warmer?

4. For scenes with the Nazi soldiers, we don't want to show their faces. In one scene, the soldier's head will be in darkness while his uniform (and more importantly, armband) will be lit. I want the light to be cold and harsh, but I also don't want any spill on his face. What would be the best way to do this?

Any answers to these questions would be greatly appreciated. Again, I am quite new to DP work so I want to make sure I do it correctly.

Thanks!

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

rebotnix Technologies

Ritter Battery

Visual Products

Tai Audio

Glidecam

Technodolly

Aerial Filmworks

The Slider

Paralinx LLC

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS