#1 Matt Kemp

Matt Kemp
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
  • Director
  • London

Posted 29 August 2008 - 06:13 PM

I just bought an old Nizo 561, and on the side, right next to the footage counter is a silver knob with two settings. I'ts obviously a bit of a bodged after-market modification, but does anyone know what it might be or seen this before?
The camera makes a slight pitch change if you turn the knob while running it, but other than that I can't tell any difference. There's also a new little LED been put in at the back above the cartridge loading compartment, but that doesn't light up or anything.

If attached a picture, apologies for the quality.

[attachment=4402:Picture0462.jpg]

Any ideas welcome, this is the kind of thing that will drive me nuts until I know what it's for..

#2 Chris Burke

Chris Burke
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1675 posts
  • Boston, MA

Posted 30 August 2008 - 07:43 AM

I just bought an old Nizo 561, and on the side, right next to the footage counter is a silver knob with two settings. I'ts obviously a bit of a bodged after-market modification, but does anyone know what it might be or seen this before?
The camera makes a slight pitch change if you turn the knob while running it, but other than that I can't tell any difference. There's also a new little LED been put in at the back above the cartridge loading compartment, but that doesn't light up or anything.

If attached a picture, apologies for the quality.

[attachment=4402:Picture0462.jpg]

Any ideas welcome, this is the kind of thing that will drive me nuts until I know what it's for..

It might be crystal sync. Just a guess. Can you provide a sharper image? This one is too fuzy to make out any detail.

chris

#3 Michael Lehnert

Michael Lehnert
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1086 posts
  • Other
  • London, UK / Basel, CH

Posted 31 August 2008 - 01:30 PM

Given the picture quality and what I can make out, my money is on a parasite alien space probe that connected to your Nizo in order to learn about quality control of both German camera manufacturers (maybe to help its own alien nation super 8 camera manufacturing industry) and Kodak's cartridge reliability.

If you could prvide another picture, I would probably second Chris idea of a crystal sync unit or a multispeed add-on button. As long as the pic is fuzzier than Blue Book "flying saucer" shots, you cannot be helped ;) .

#4 Matt Kemp

Matt Kemp
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
  • Director
  • London

Posted 01 September 2008 - 09:46 AM

That's kind of what I was hoping it was.. Either that or every time I flick it, there's a light going on and off in an old lady's house in Munchen..

Here's a better picture.

[attachment=4418:Photo_47.jpg]

Thanks

#5 Alessandro Malfatti

Alessandro Malfatti
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • Other
  • Barcelona, Spain

Posted 01 September 2008 - 07:33 PM

It's a wild suggestion, but could it be somehow related to the film counter? Maybe to keep track of a cartridge that was taken out, or two know about the remaining film of two cartridges at the same time? If it's a crystal sync switch there should be a plug somewhere, or am I mistaken? Being so close to the footage counter, and the fact that it resets after you take out the cartridge is what gives me that idea. I would somehow guess that if the switch is in one position it stores the position of the counter, and if you remove the cartridge and replace it, you can set the counter back... you could try that out quite simply when filming next time, if you can't figure out what the knob really is for until then.

#6 Matt Kemp

Matt Kemp
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
  • Director
  • London

Posted 02 September 2008 - 05:05 AM

I think you're right, it seemd a bit low-tech for a crystal sync conversion (shame). I'll try out the footage counter reset idea, see if it works. That in itself would actually be pretty useful too.
Thanks Alessandro.
Matt

CineTape

Rig Wheels Passport

Opal

Paralinx LLC

Ritter Battery

Abel Cine

Metropolis Post

rebotnix Technologies

Willys Widgets

Wooden Camera