Bob Long

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 30 August 2008 - 05:34 PM

Hi,
I've been in production on a cable series that has been using the Sony HVR - V1U camera as the camera mandated by the network to shoot reenactments. The problem that I have had, lets say the biggest problem that I have had has been recording audio. When monitoring audio through a head set the audio seems fine. I have been told by my production manager that the guys in the edit are complaining about the "nat" audio being too hot. In monitoring the audio you have two options with this camera. Looking at the REC Ch. Select you can flip a toggle to the up position and be in CH1/CH2 or flip it down and be in CH 1. This means that in the up position you are recording the one same audio to both channels and by flipping down you by way of internal menu can seperate the tracks and have Ch1

#2 Walter Graff

Walter Graff
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1334 posts
  • Other
  • New York City

Posted 30 August 2008 - 06:27 PM

Sound in a headset does not mean the sound is okay. Sometimes clipping can not be heard when recording. VUs are the only method of checking sound levels. Set your tone to -20 and let your peaks go between 0 and that. If you are peaking, it will cause problems later. As for the switches, basically it's a quick way to duplicate channel one. In the case of one mic you would do this and set channel one to a level and perhaps channel two to read the signal a bit less so you have a range and in case channel one peaks, channel two covers that mic.

Metropolis Post

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Tai Audio

Willys Widgets

CineLab

Rig Wheels Passport

Wooden Camera

Ritter Battery

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Visual Products

The Slider

rebotnix Technologies