#1 Aaron Covington

Aaron Covington

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 04 September 2008 - 12:05 PM

I'm shooting a 16mm project for school. A particular scene has a kid following a balloon at night. The balloon has a light in it that flashes different colors from red, light blue, green dark blue, light green like red, purple. Any suggestions on how to shoot this so that it appears accurate on screen?

Also its a night shoot and all the lights in the room will probably be off so we're looking at using moonlight, or rather creating moonlight coming in through the windows.

Any thoughts on all of this? Tips suggestions, anything...?

#2 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7117 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 04 September 2008 - 12:58 PM

I'm not sure i 100% follow, at least as to where the balloon is; but if it's in a room and the like, you can just expose for the balloon; though most other things will fall to darkness. you'd be best taking spot readings and then applying the zone system; testing is of course highly highly suggested here.
For moon light; throw some diffusion and some CTB in front of a light for the "moon" and keep it from being brighter than the brightest of the balloon, maybe 1 stop under, maybe more, it's a matter of personal preference at that point.

I mean, how bright are these lights? How do you want these colors to appear? Vibrant and saturated, muted and pastel etc.

#3 Paul Bruening

Paul Bruening

(deceased)

• Sustaining Members
  • 2858 posts
  • Producer
  • Oxford, Mississippi

Posted 04 September 2008 - 02:53 PM

Colored LEDs could give you the color changes and keep the balloon light. They wouldn't take a lot of juice either. But, the black jacketed, wire snake to control them by hand would show dropping down from the balloon. On-board batteries and a controller will increase costs and weight. I've heard of balloon within balloon to provide diffusion and mounting benefits.

#4 Aaron Covington

Aaron Covington

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 15 September 2008 - 04:12 AM

Thanks for the input.

The balloon showed up by itself in test footage. There is a small bulb that goes inside the balloon that lights it up.

The rest of the room we were able to use full blue and spot a light on the kid so his face showed up. The CTB worked also but its kind of a fantasy so we used just the blue.

It was sort of a balloon within a balloon also but the balloon still shows up by itself on the test footage.

#5 Andrew Koch

Andrew Koch
  • Sustaining Members
  • 243 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Burbank, California

Posted 15 September 2008 - 04:27 AM

Could you post some pictures of the setup or some frame grabs. I'm curious to see how it looked

Abel Cine

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Aerial Filmworks

The Slider

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Opal

Paralinx LLC

Visual Products

CineTape

Glidecam

Rig Wheels Passport

CineLab