3 replies to this topic

#1 Michael LaVoie

Michael LaVoie
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 719 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 06 September 2008 - 10:34 AM

If any of you have ever done an ebay search under "HMI" you have no doubt seen listings for 1200HMI pars brand new with electronic ballasts going for about $3200. You will also see 2500's 575's and an assortment of tungsten units.

They all are painted to look like ARRI units but of course they're not. Has anyone actually tried any of these lights? The ebay store is called Seven.Studio

#2 Satsuki Murashige

Satsuki Murashige
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3510 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • San Francisco, CA

Posted 07 September 2008 - 02:19 AM

I've seen 'em too. I figure you get what you pay for. So if your ultra-sketch HMI goes down on a big shoot, you'll be SOL. Not worth it, IMO. Now tungsten lights might be a different story, they're simpler beasts so it might be worth it.

#3 JD Hartman

JD Hartman
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1690 posts
  • Gaffer
  • Edison, N.J. U.S.A.

Posted 07 September 2008 - 12:51 PM

I believe he's a member here and often pops up in various topics to shill his Far East Arri and Kino-like clones.

#4 Tebbe Schoeningh

Tebbe Schoeningh
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Buenos Aires, Berlin

Posted 23 September 2008 - 10:18 AM

I used to work in a local rental house where I saw the ocassionally when we subrented them to fill up orders that we could´nt supply completely with our own lights. Seems that this low-cost Arri-clones are interesting for the local low-budget market especially when you if you think about the exchange-rate of the local currency...
From the outside the heads look almost the same, although the finishing is not as "perfect" as the one of the originals. The ballast is a bit different but the functions are the same (stepp-less dimmer etc). We had some problems with the ballasts, some we´re getting really hot, others we´re quiet noisy, but not all of them! Most of them worked quiet fine.
I compared the beam and by watching it (did´nt measure it because I never had the time at work) I could see a difference in the grade of it at the points where the fresnel glass "makes a step" (don´t know how to call this - i mean the typical fresnel structure with "stairs"). The Arri glass is much better, the grades are softer and it´s like one beam of light whick looses intensity towards the edges, the chinese glass looks more like layers of light with different intensities. Maybe it has got to do with the mirror too. Both lamps were equipped with the same, brand-new Osram HMI-lamp!
Anyway. It seems that Arri has got some quality problems too. The rental house ordered a couple of brand new 6K-PAR Arri Heads with Ballasts in the States and two of them did´nt work, they had a problem with the electronics and it becam necessary to exchange the whole board of the ballasts. From the inside they look like a computer...

By the way. There is a local brand called "Dexel" which copies a lot of lamp heads too, mainly fresnel units and some of the look exactly as "Desisti" studio lights. I always wonder wether this brands are getting any problems with copyright and patents...

FJS International, LLC

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Tai Audio

rebotnix Technologies

Metropolis Post

Abel Cine

Visual Products

Glidecam

Willys Widgets

CineTape

Rig Wheels Passport

Paralinx LLC