Daniel Wallens
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts
  • Grip
  • New York City

Posted 09 September 2008 - 09:39 PM

Hey all,
I am going to be rigging some interior car shots (from the backseat of a SUV out the front windshield) and would like to give the operator and DP as much flexibility as possible. I was wondering if anyone had any tips on putting a bazooka (a telescopic one) on a slider. Is there a particular model of bazooka I should use? A specific make of slider? Or is this a fairly easy connection/setup?

#2 Warwick Hempleman

Warwick Hempleman
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • Germany

Posted 09 September 2008 - 09:51 PM

I'd say you're putting the cart before the horse. Mount the slider on the bazooka. I assume you're using a fairly short slider. You may still want to brace the slider at each end to prevent wobble once the lens height has been established.

#3 robert duke

robert duke
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 438 posts
  • Grip
  • southeast USA

Posted 09 September 2008 - 09:55 PM

sliders can bind and cause unwanted friction when the point of pressure is too far above the mitchell plate. try either putting the slider onthe bazooka, or apple boxing up the slider and just adding a 6" riser. I think the height is 1.5x the width of the slider tray ( the actual sliding mitchell plate)

I get that you want to adjust height without rebuilding too much. but the slider on the bazooka is better.

#4 Daniel Wallens

Daniel Wallens
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts
  • Grip
  • New York City

Posted 09 September 2008 - 10:35 PM

thanks very much guys for your replies :) will adhere to them.

Also, I think I'm not going to have a problem mounting the whole thing, but perhaps you guys have some other ideas on how to adhere the bazooka onto a piece of plywood (fitted to the back seat section of the car).

#5 James Steven Beverly

James Steven Beverly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4199 posts
  • Director
  • El Paso, Texas

Posted 09 September 2008 - 11:39 PM

Bazooka on a slider? Never heard of either of those please enlighten me.

#6 Reil Munro

Reil Munro
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Grip
  • Manitoba, Canada

Posted 10 September 2008 - 04:19 AM

Daniel

If your plywood is already fastened to the floor, then mounting the bazooka with 3 dock rings and ratchets (hookless) shouldn't be a problem...hell, 3 sand bags on each leg would even do the trick, depending also on the rate of speed of travel of course.

Actually... the simplest way is a good way...bag the crap out of it, and it will allow you to focus on your other tasks.

Just another way and my 2 cents

Stay classy

#7 victor huey

victor huey
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts
  • Producer

Posted 14 September 2008 - 10:34 PM

here is how we rigged a slider on "Burn After Reading"

Victor

Hey all,
I am going to be rigging some interior car shots (from the backseat of a SUV out the front windshield) and would like to give the operator and DP as much flexibility as possible. I was wondering if anyone had any tips on putting a bazooka (a telescopic one) on a slider. Is there a particular model of bazooka I should use? A specific make of slider? Or is this a fairly easy connection/setup?

#8 victor huey

victor huey
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts
  • Producer

Posted 14 September 2008 - 10:55 PM

http://www.flickr.co...s/30519109@N07/

#9 Reil Munro

Reil Munro
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Grip
  • Manitoba, Canada

Posted 17 September 2008 - 12:50 AM

Victor

That's a sweet looking rig...hope you don't mind me giving it a go sometime in these parts

Cheers

#10 Jon Rosenbloom

Jon Rosenbloom
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 713 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 17 September 2008 - 08:14 PM

Don't worry too much about adjusting the height; car interiors are pretty restricted. That said, you might want to order a three inch camera riser.

#11 Sanjay Sami

Sanjay Sami
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 258 posts
  • Grip
  • Anywhere they pay me to go

Posted 19 September 2008 - 09:04 AM

Hi Dan,
I would seriously advise against using a telescoping riser on a slider (or any riser for that matter). The slider is likely to get damaged by the leverage generated from the weight riding that high above the carriage. Having said that I would not really recommend rigging the slider on the bazooka either. It is likely that you will damage the slider with the weight cantilevered at one end on a moving car.
In my opinion Victors method is the safe way to go. If you use Ronford Bakers sliders they come with speedrail adaptors that make a rig like that very quick to adjust.
Take a look at the way I have rigged a slider for this shot. It was for a car chase sequence and I had to track the camera under a moving truck and out the other side - http://www.thegripwo...om/rigging.html
Hope that helps

Regards
Sanjay Sami
Key Grip
www.thegripworks.com

Glidecam

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Opal

Wooden Camera

Abel Cine

Paralinx LLC

The Slider