4 replies to this topic

#1 James Millward

James Millward
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Student

Posted 11 September 2008 - 11:47 AM

I Purchased a Quarz Kinoflex wind up cam from ebay maybe 12 months ago. It had never been used, and I have not used it until now.

Im getting ready to put my first rolls of super 8 film ever through the cam, but before I waste my Ektachrome 64t there seems to be something odd about my kinoflex

When I run the cam at low speed (9-12) and look into the gate, there is an obstruction over the inmage coming from the left hand side. Kind of like a thick needle with a blunt end. Sometimes its right in the middle, and sometimes its up or down a bit.

Then after some messing, the image in the gate becomes very small (ie not filling the gate), its only filling a small circle in the centre of the gate.

Ive run the cam very briefly at higher speed, and its the same.

Is my cam broken?? If so, what is wrong and can it be fixed??

Many thanks
Jim

#2 Richard Tuohy

Richard Tuohy
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts
  • Other
  • Daylesford, Australia

Posted 11 September 2008 - 07:36 PM

I Purchased a Quarz Kinoflex wind up cam from ebay maybe 12 months ago. It had never been used, and I have not used it until now.

Im getting ready to put my first rolls of super 8 film ever through the cam, but before I waste my Ektachrome 64t there seems to be something odd about my kinoflex

When I run the cam at low speed (9-12) and look into the gate, there is an obstruction over the inmage coming from the left hand side. Kind of like a thick needle with a blunt end. Sometimes its right in the middle, and sometimes its up or down a bit.

Then after some messing, the image in the gate becomes very small (ie not filling the gate), its only filling a small circle in the centre of the gate.

Many thanks
Jim

Hi Jim,
I believe what you are seeing is the 'iris' system of this camera. Many super 8 cameras have a 'two leaf' 'iris'. This is two triangular openings that move against each other in response to the light. In doing so, they make a variable sized square opening. You can simulate this to see what I mean by making a 'V' with two fingers of each hand and superimposing them.
Now the Quarz camera uses something similar but different to this. Instead of two triangular (V shpaed) openings it has one 'wonky' shaped V. This doesn't move but is 'fixed' in position. Into this protrudes a single 'finger' which obstructs the light. This finger moves in and out depending on the amount of light (or the exposure setting when on manual). It is this system I believe you are seeing. And this is an odd looking system! Sometimes when you get a flare in the lens you can see this odd shaped 'iris' system in the image (as you can with any other iris system). It looks very weird. But it is probably working. Just test to see that when you have batteries in the battery holder the exposure device I have described moves about depending on light.
enjoy your quarz! Its a special camera.
richard

#3 Olex Kalynychenko

Olex Kalynychenko
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 868 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Dnepropetrovsk, Ukraine

Posted 12 September 2008 - 03:33 AM

Many thanks
Jim

Do not worry. All OK, this is iris blades of aperture control of Quarz camera.

If you unscrew of front zoom attachment, You can see of blades of aperture conrtol more detailed.
the aperture control can be at auto and manual control.
from left side of camera, you can see of handle of manual aperture control with on-off switch of auto mode ( need setup of handle on extreme position with click ) .
If you will see on viewfinder, you can see of aperture scale and indicator of aperture control.
If you will turn of handle of aperture control, the indicator will move too.
If you setup of handle of apeture control on " auto " mode and the battery of leght meter have good condition( two batteries setup at holder inside of film magazine module ), the light meter will measuring of value of light and will control of position of indicator inside viewfinder and will control of position of big blade at film gate.
The handle of aperture control have marks " M" - manual and " A " - auto.

You can check of all this process from side of main lens ( without front zoom attachment ).
From rigt side of camera, you can see of handle with digitals -2, -1, 0 + 1 +2.
This is film speed control handle of light meter and use for setup of speed of film or load of correction of exposure.
The russian Quarz camera build for russian Svema CO-50D or OCHE-45 films with speed 50 ASA, this is "0"position.
If you will use of film with other speed, you need set of handle of aperture control on other position.
100 ASA -1
200 ASA -2
25( 32 )ASA +1
12ASA +2

Quarz 1x8S-2 camera do not have of Auto DX film speed coded system, that's why, you must setup of speed of film manually, by handle of light meter .

And. You do not forger, the Auto TTL light meter will work at loaded spring of motor only.
The matter is that, if the spring of motor empty, the reflective part of shutter disk can set out of light sensor of TTL meter and light from lens do not touch of sensor and light meter do not work.

The camera have build in 85 filter for use of Tungsten flms at daylight shooting.
You can see of handle from ring side of camera with marks " Sun " and " bulb".
This is handle of control of film load.
The position of handle " Sun" show, the film inside of film gate and t you can shoot of tingsten film with daylight.

The many guys ask me about size of screw ( from camera side )of front zoom attachmnet.
Yes, The front zoom attachmnet ( I do not call of zoom lens ) have C-mount screw between camera and zoom attachmnet.
And many guys had idea to install of c-mount lenses.
Sorry, but, this is do not possible.
You don't can to install of any other lens on Quarz 1x8S-2 camera with C-mount.

The optical system of Quarz 1x8S-2 camera consist from main prime lens ( 12.5 mm ) and front zoom attachmnet.
The main prime lens setup inside of camera ( You can see of this lens, after you unscrew of front zoom attachmnet ) and have complex optical system with two blade aperture control, with separating prism, additional optical system of ground glass and ground glass.

That's why, do not possible to disconnect of main lens, because, this is part of cine camera.

You can see, the Quarz camera have shutter disk, but, the image at viewfinder do not blink.
Quarz camera have optical system with separating prism and light from lens divide on way to film and to second way to ground glass of viewfinder.
That's why, you can see image on viwfinder without winking at run of camera.
But, you do not need forget about this , if you will use of external exposure meter.
Because, you must take into account light-transmission factor of separating prism.

The camera can have a two close up glasses at set.
This is F=250 mm and F=667 mm.
The camera with 250 mm atatchmnet will have distance of focusing 0.28-0.32 m
with 667 mm 0.48-0.8 m.

If you will have more querstions or will need original user manual, can ask me.
I repair, service of Quarz cameras long time and can tell many.

#4 James Millward

James Millward
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Student

Posted 13 September 2008 - 01:52 PM

Hi Jim,
I believe what you are seeing is the 'iris' system of this camera. Many super 8 cameras have a 'two leaf' 'iris'. This is two triangular openings that move against each other in response to the light. In doing so, they make a variable sized square opening. You can simulate this to see what I mean by making a 'V' with two fingers of each hand and superimposing them.
Now the Quarz camera uses something similar but different to this. Instead of two triangular (V shpaed) openings it has one 'wonky' shaped V. This doesn't move but is 'fixed' in position. Into this protrudes a single 'finger' which obstructs the light. This finger moves in and out depending on the amount of light (or the exposure setting when on manual). It is this system I believe you are seeing. And this is an odd looking system! Sometimes when you get a flare in the lens you can see this odd shaped 'iris' system in the image (as you can with any other iris system). It looks very weird. But it is probably working. Just test to see that when you have batteries in the battery holder the exposure device I have described moves about depending on light.
enjoy your quarz! Its a special camera.
richard

Thanks for the reply. I havent got batteries in for the meter because I was going to use manual exposure only.

If I take the lens off, I can see the system you describe. In auto mode (obviously I have no baterries in so im not expecting it to work, the v shaped blades come in when the cam is upright and fall out the way when turnd on its side. Is this correct??

So when the batteries are in, and the cam set to auto, the blades should come fully in when exposed to bright light, and move out of the way when I point the cam into the dark??

HOWEVER, when I put the cam in manual mode, the blades come fully in, and do not move when I change the apature value manually (using the wheel on the side). Shouldnt it open and close as I turn the dial, even if there are no batteries??

Last question, I can see the blades move in an out from the right side of the cam BUT what is the black needle comming from the right of the cam?? This needle basically sits in between the 'V' of the iris blades and doesnt move at any time!!

Many thanks again, let me know what you think.

James

#5 James Millward

James Millward
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Student

Posted 13 September 2008 - 01:58 PM

Do not worry. All OK, this is iris blades of aperture control of Quarz camera.

If you unscrew of front zoom attachment, You can see of blades of aperture conrtol more detailed.
the aperture control can be at auto and manual control.
from left side of camera, you can see of handle of manual aperture control with on-off switch of auto mode ( need setup of handle on extreme position with click ) .
If you will see on viewfinder, you can see of aperture scale and indicator of aperture control.
If you will turn of handle of aperture control, the indicator will move too.
If you setup of handle of apeture control on " auto " mode and the battery of leght meter have good condition( two batteries setup at holder inside of film magazine module ), the light meter will measuring of value of light and will control of position of indicator inside viewfinder and will control of position of big blade at film gate.
The handle of aperture control have marks " M" - manual and " A " - auto.

You can check of all this process from side of main lens ( without front zoom attachment ).
From rigt side of camera, you can see of handle with digitals -2, -1, 0 + 1 +2.
This is film speed control handle of light meter and use for setup of speed of film or load of correction of exposure.
The russian Quarz camera build for russian Svema CO-50D or OCHE-45 films with speed 50 ASA, this is "0"position.
If you will use of film with other speed, you need set of handle of aperture control on other position.
100 ASA -1
200 ASA -2
25( 32 )ASA +1
12ASA +2

Quarz 1x8S-2 camera do not have of Auto DX film speed coded system, that's why, you must setup of speed of film manually, by handle of light meter .

And. You do not forger, the Auto TTL light meter will work at loaded spring of motor only.
The matter is that, if the spring of motor empty, the reflective part of shutter disk can set out of light sensor of TTL meter and light from lens do not touch of sensor and light meter do not work.

The camera have build in 85 filter for use of Tungsten flms at daylight shooting.
You can see of handle from ring side of camera with marks " Sun " and " bulb".
This is handle of control of film load.
The position of handle " Sun" show, the film inside of film gate and t you can shoot of tingsten film with daylight.

The many guys ask me about size of screw ( from camera side )of front zoom attachmnet.
Yes, The front zoom attachmnet ( I do not call of zoom lens ) have C-mount screw between camera and zoom attachmnet.
And many guys had idea to install of c-mount lenses.
Sorry, but, this is do not possible.
You don't can to install of any other lens on Quarz 1x8S-2 camera with C-mount.

The optical system of Quarz 1x8S-2 camera consist from main prime lens ( 12.5 mm ) and front zoom attachmnet.
The main prime lens setup inside of camera ( You can see of this lens, after you unscrew of front zoom attachmnet ) and have complex optical system with two blade aperture control, with separating prism, additional optical system of ground glass and ground glass.

That's why, do not possible to disconnect of main lens, because, this is part of cine camera.

You can see, the Quarz camera have shutter disk, but, the image at viewfinder do not blink.
Quarz camera have optical system with separating prism and light from lens divide on way to film and to second way to ground glass of viewfinder.
That's why, you can see image on viwfinder without winking at run of camera.
But, you do not need forget about this , if you will use of external exposure meter.
Because, you must take into account light-transmission factor of separating prism.

The camera can have a two close up glasses at set.
This is F=250 mm and F=667 mm.
The camera with 250 mm atatchmnet will have distance of focusing 0.28-0.32 m
with 667 mm 0.48-0.8 m.

If you will have more querstions or will need original user manual, can ask me.
I repair, service of Quarz cameras long time and can tell many.

Many thanks for the detailed explonation! It is very much appreciated, as I dont have an english manual.

Ive posted a reply above, would you comment on it please? Your experience is invaluable to me. :)

Many thanks again
James

Opal

Ritter Battery

rebotnix Technologies

Metropolis Post

Glidecam

CineLab

Technodolly

Tai Audio

Rig Wheels Passport

Abel Cine