#1 Jonathan Burton

Jonathan Burton
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • Student
  • Australia

Posted 11 September 2008 - 06:15 PM

I have just finished a project on HD1080i50 using a sony Z1P. It looks good, but now i am wondering the best way to down convert it and whack it on a DVD. What will give me the best results in terms of res and overall quality? Also what compression format should i use, (I am working on a mac with final cut). Any advice on this would be really helpful, cheers.

#2 Varun Nayar

Varun Nayar
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • India

Posted 10 November 2008 - 02:10 AM

I have just finished a project on HD1080i50 using a sony Z1P. It looks good, but now i am wondering the best way to down convert it and whack it on a DVD. What will give me the best results in terms of res and overall quality? Also what compression format should i use, (I am working on a mac with final cut). Any advice on this would be really helpful, cheers.

well i presume u shot hdv 1080i50 and via the hdv codec or apple prores captured it into fcp mov files. well u can export them as uncompressed files (or DV/DVcam with 16:9 frame size) and use compressor to do a dvd output..it depends on the length of ur footage. u could use the compressor's apple dvd option to either select an mpeg or a h.264 compression. or u could downconvert on the fly from the camera menu itself and go straight to compressor.

#3 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7117 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 10 November 2008 - 02:29 AM

If you're working with DVD studio pro, I would go out uncompressed SD and then either let DVD studio pro do the compression (change all presets in there to multipass, highest, and up the bit-rate as much as you can) or go through compressor with an uncompressed SD file. No need, I don't think, to introduce DV compression and then MPEG2 on top of that. This is my opinion, but I always go HD--->Uncompressed SD--->web/dvd/flash with my stuff. I find i get better results than with DV/DVCPRO. Test with a short clip with a lot of information in it to check . It's always a balancing act.

#4 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7117 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 10 November 2008 - 02:31 AM

If you're working with DVD studio pro, I would go out uncompressed SD and then either let DVD studio pro do the compression (change all presets in there to multipass, highest, and up the bit-rate as much as you can) or go through compressor with an uncompressed SD file. No need, I don't think, to introduce DV compression and then MPEG2 on top of that. This is my opinion, but I always go HD--->Uncompressed SD--->web/dvd/flash with my stuff. I find i get better results than with DV/DVCPRO. Test with a short clip with a lot of information in it to check . It's always a balancing act.

Ritter Battery

Metropolis Post

rebotnix Technologies

CineTape

Willys Widgets

Technodolly

The Slider

Visual Products

Abel Cine

Wooden Camera

Glidecam

Aerial Filmworks