1 reply to this topic

#1 Nick Castronuova

Nick Castronuova
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Student

Posted 12 September 2008 - 01:48 PM

Hey, I'm helping a friend light some super 8 project, a medium i've not worked with in a while. We have a handful of Lowell lights. It's a really small project for one of his film classes.

What's the best F-Stop to keep for the shots? The film stocks ASA is 80. I know when I shot 16mm on the SR-2, it we yielded really fantastic results with the iris opened all the way (1.7 I believe). Can the same be said for Black and White Super 8?

And it being night, I probably shouldn't light over a 4 or 5.6. Any help would be appreciated.

#2 Dan Goulder

Dan Goulder
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1259 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 12 September 2008 - 02:33 PM

Hey, I'm helping a friend light some super 8 project, a medium i've not worked with in a while. We have a handful of Lowell lights. It's a really small project for one of his film classes.

What's the best F-Stop to keep for the shots? The film stocks ASA is 80. I know when I shot 16mm on the SR-2, it we yielded really fantastic results with the iris opened all the way (1.7 I believe). Can the same be said for Black and White Super 8?

And it being night, I probably shouldn't light over a 4 or 5.6. Any help would be appreciated.

With ASA 80 stock, you'll probably want to be shooting wide open. Don't plan on shooting anywhere near T4 or 5.6 with low speed stock, which would call for super heavy duty lighting.

The Slider

CineTape

Rig Wheels Passport

Metropolis Post

FJS International, LLC

Visual Products

Tai Audio

Ritter Battery

CineLab

Technodolly

Opal

Wooden Camera