#1 Annie Wengenroth

Annie Wengenroth
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 653 posts
  • Sound Department
  • Brooklyn, NY

Posted 12 September 2008 - 09:08 PM

So I subscribed to Below The Line magazine for a little while and would sit there with a highlighter squinting at the jobs and making up awkward conversations in my head about who I would talk to in regards to getting said jobs. Needless to say, when I found out that they now have ONLINE job postings, I thought, "Hm. Is this worth $7 a month?"

So tell me, is it? Have you guys had any luck with this site? It seems weird to me to just randomly call these people when most camera guys bring their own along... :shrug:

#2 Jonathan Bowerbank

Jonathan Bowerbank
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2815 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • San Francisco, CA

Posted 13 September 2008 - 01:06 PM

I dunno, would it be worth it to phone up those listings and perhaps get your name on some sort of potential crew list?

#3 JD Hartman

JD Hartman
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1690 posts
  • Gaffer
  • Edison, N.J. U.S.A.

Posted 16 September 2008 - 09:25 AM

Annie,
Were you able to find any work on the East coast through "Below the Line"? Did you eventually subscribe to the web job listings? I have seen ProCrewBook referred to in a number of job postings. Looking at the site, there doesn't seem to be much content (or jobs) there. Seems like another scam, a website charging you for the opportunity to view job openings. Very much like NYcastings, which is an actor website, but also ran free crew listings. Then they realized that they could rake in more more bucks by charging everyone for details about every posting.

Edited by JD Hartman, 16 September 2008 - 09:30 AM.

#4 Annie Wengenroth

Annie Wengenroth
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 653 posts
  • Sound Department
  • Brooklyn, NY

Posted 18 September 2008 - 08:01 AM

Hey JD,
How's it going? Good to see you on here again. I have yet to get a job through Below The Line but it still seems like a decent resource if only so I can be informed of what's going on around town. Although I think once you put stuff like that online, it changes things, kinda like what you said...now suddenly this perfectly reputable printed magazine, starts to look like a scam. It almost makes me miss getting junk mail in my mailbox instead of in my email account... On the other hand, Mandy.com seems like it's getting watered down with lower-budget gigs. Like the other day, I saw a post for "GAPHERS WANTED!" Get on it, I know how much you love gaphing! :lol:

#5 Brian Dzyak

Brian Dzyak
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1517 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Encino, California USA

Posted 18 September 2008 - 09:24 AM

I'm not advertising for any particular crew service over another, but in my experience, when I've dealt with Producers looking for crew before, nearly 100% mention going through a company called Crew Connection. I don't know the full details of membership, but I believe that you don't give them any money up front, BUT the billing goes through them and they take a percentage of what your daily rate is. They act more or less like an agent in that way.

I have that and other similar "job resource" companies listed at www.whatireallywanttodo.com. Just click on "Additional Resources" at the top of the page.

#6 Annie Wengenroth

Annie Wengenroth
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 653 posts
  • Sound Department
  • Brooklyn, NY

Posted 21 September 2008 - 01:04 PM

Thanks, Brian, I'll check it out!

Ritter Battery

The Slider

Aerial Filmworks