• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Richard Boddington

Richard Boddington
  • Sustaining Members
  • 5482 posts
  • Director

Posted 13 September 2008 - 08:56 PM

Ok I saw this tonight, definitely one of the best action "blow-em up and shoot em up" movies I've ever seen. The cinematography, VFX, and editing, where all excellent!

I had to fight to stay awake during the oh so boring Batman, Death Race delivers non stop action, minus the "moralizing" of Batman.

This movie doesn't pretend to be any thing it isn't, it's just action and more action.

Certainly a big step above the star filled movies that leave you scratching your head leaving the theatre saying, "Huh?"

R,

#2 Jonathan Bowerbank

Jonathan Bowerbank
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2815 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • San Francisco, CA

Posted 13 September 2008 - 10:17 PM

I kept reading on, hoping for a ;) icon.

Are you serious?

#3 Richard Boddington

Richard Boddington
  • Sustaining Members
  • 5482 posts
  • Director

Posted 13 September 2008 - 10:21 PM

I kept reading on, hoping for a ;) icon.

Are you serious?

Ok here's your icon, just not where you'd expect it.

I thought I'd get that reaction ;)

Yes, seriously, for the genre classification it is in, one of the best. Certainly the most entertainment I've had at the movies this year.

Well....there is at least one other person on the planet who feels the same way I do about this movie vs The Dark (boring) Knight.

http://www.imdb.com/.../nest/116020468

I'm ready for Death Race II!!

R,

#4 K Borowski

K Borowski
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3905 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • I.A.T.S.E. Local # 600 Eastern Region

Posted 14 September 2008 - 02:17 PM

Ok here's your icon, just not where you'd expect it.

I thought I'd get that reaction ;)

Yes, seriously, for the genre classification it is in, one of the best. Certainly the most entertainment I've had at the movies this year.

Well....there is at least one other person on the planet who feels the same way I do about this movie vs The Dark (boring) Knight.

http://www.imdb.com/.../nest/116020468

I'm ready for Death Race II!!

R,

Rich can I call you "Commodus" from now on? Haha. Why do you shoot on that pesky film again? With digital you can afford to film thhe big explosion with 25 cameras instead of just 10 pesky 35mms and a 65mm IMAX ;)

#5 Richard Boddington

Richard Boddington
  • Sustaining Members
  • 5482 posts
  • Director

Posted 14 September 2008 - 02:33 PM

Rich can I call you "Commodus" from now on? Haha. Why do you shoot on that pesky film again? With digital you can afford to film thhe big explosion with 25 cameras instead of just 10 pesky 35mms and a 65mm IMAX ;)

Yes I get it, did you see this show? They make reference to ancient Rome and the "mob" etc in the opening credits. No different than Hockey Night In Canada, 20,000 screaming fans watch as large men with big sticks and blades on their feet try and kill each other.

25 cameras you say? Hmmmmmm, now you've got me thinking. Hey no need to block the shots with that kind of coverage just let the editor figure it all out ;)

R,

#6 K Borowski

K Borowski
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3905 posts
  • Camera Operator

Posted 14 September 2008 - 04:08 PM

Yes I get it, did you see this show? They make reference to ancient Rome and the "mob" etc in the opening credits. No different than Hockey Night In Canada, 20,000 screaming fans watch as large men with big sticks and blades on their feet try and kill each other.

25 cameras you say? Hmmmmmm, now you've got me thinking. Hey no need to block the shots with that kind of coverage just let the editor figure it all out ;)

R,

No I haven't seen it. Great minds think alike. . .

Even better, make it 50 and then you don'teven need to meter, just set bracket a stop and have ten different angles shot at 5 different stops.

If that still doesn't work, just fix it in Photoshop!!!

#7 K Borowski

K Borowski
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3905 posts
  • Camera Operator

Posted 14 September 2008 - 04:38 PM

R,

No I haven't seen it. Great minds think alike. . .

Even better, make it 50 and then you don'teven need to meter, just set bracket a stop and have ten different angles shot at 5 different stops.

If that still doesn't work, just fix it in Photoshop!!!

#8 Ron Flex

Ron Flex
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
  • Other

Posted 04 October 2008 - 06:12 PM

Ah yes, another horrible remake of a classic. The original Death Race 2000 was low budget fun and then they just had remake it with probably the most bland actor ever to get lucky in the film industry, Jason Statham.

I don't want to go on about it. There really has been no interesting or decent film out at the mainstream cinemas for quite a while. My two big cinemas (UCI and ODEON) didn't even show Somers Town! Luckily I have a great ex-newsreel cinema near that shows old newsreels for free and also shows things such as the Straight8 contest and other short film competitions or events among all the latest foreign releases and lesser known UK and Hollywood films.

http://www.tynecine.org/

And people say Newcastle has no class. :rolleyes:

Willys Widgets

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Visual Products

CineLab

Opal

Aerial Filmworks

Glidecam

FJS International, LLC

rebotnix Technologies

CineTape