Photo

Fog levels on frozen 3 year old vision 2 film?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 James Steven Beverly

James Steven Beverly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4199 posts
  • Director
  • El Paso, Texas

Posted 15 September 2008 - 03:50 AM

What kind of fog levels do you imagine one might expect to find on 3 year old Vision 2 film if it's been frozen during most of that period? How 'bout any other potential problems one might incur?

#2 Brian Pritchard

Brian Pritchard
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 328 posts
  • Other
  • Stoke-on-Trent, UK

Posted 15 September 2008 - 05:05 AM

What kind of fog levels do you imagine one might expect to find on 3 year old Vision 2 film if it's been frozen during most of that period? How 'bout any other potential problems one might incur?

I would hope that the fog levels had not risen by more than 0.05, I would not use the stock if the fog levels had increased by 0.10. This assumes that you know what the fog level was when the film was put into storage. The Kodak website gives average characteristic curves for all their stocks. You could get an estimate of the rough values for fresh stock from them. Vision 2 200T stock has fog levels around R:0.15, G: 0.45 and B:0.95.

You could experience problems if the cans had been opened before freezing and sealed up in high humidity. If the film is unopened it would have been sealed at the Kodak factory at the correct humidity. You must remember to allow the film to warm up before opening otherwise you will get condensation on the film.

Brian

#3 K Borowski

K Borowski
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3905 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • I.A.T.S.E. Local # 600 Eastern Region

Posted 15 September 2008 - 07:05 AM

SHould be minimal. 500 will have fogged the most, as it is most susceptable to background radiation. 50D the least. I'd say that even with 500T it'd still be good, just overrate it a tad to compensate.

rebotnix Technologies

CineLab

Opal

FJS International, LLC

The Slider

Ritter Battery

Glidecam

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Aerial Filmworks

Rig Wheels Passport

Visual Products

Abel Cine