2 replies to this topic

#1 Andy Joyce

Andy Joyce
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 15 September 2008 - 09:08 PM

I will eventually go true HD, but I'm looking for other options right now.

What do you guys think of up-rezzing apps like Topaz Enhance and Instant HD?

I paid a lot for my Canon XL2 and I hope to get more out of it. I'm not ready for native HD yet.

I don't even have a damn HDTV!

#2 Art Leal

Art Leal
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
  • Other
  • New York City

Posted 30 September 2008 - 12:12 PM

I will eventually go true HD, but I'm looking for other options right now.

What do you guys think of up-rezzing apps like Topaz Enhance and Instant HD?

I paid a lot for my Canon XL2 and I hope to get more out of it. I'm not ready for native HD yet.

I don't even have a damn HDTV!

I was of the very same opinion as you not too long ago, until I took the plunge and tried HD..in my case HDV.
I do most of my work now in it and rarely use SD anymore. Even when I need to distribute or publish a piece, downconverting from HD to SD gives me e better look than I was able to achieve with SD. Don't get me wrong, you have a dynamite cam, and I've seen stuff made in SD with proper lighting, composition, bla bla that has blown some HD out of the water, but overall the resolution you can get with HD is worth looking into. I use a Canon HV20 one chipper that simulates 24P with a cine mode feature, though what I'm saving for is a 3ccd'er HVX200 since I'm not too keen on the CMOS shutters...but that's another story.

Perhaps you can borrow someone's and try some test footage. The biggest selling point for me at the time was the fact that with HDV, the file sizes aren't all that much bigger than with SD, so I didn't need to get tons of disk space from what I already had. True, the HDV files are much more compressed than those of SD, but I gave it a try nonetheless and was not dissapointed.

As far as Instand HD, I have used it but for select footage to combine with HD. It basically upsamples footage with a lot of fancy antialiasing, but if you look at it enough it shows, the "stepping" is still noticeable and the clarity is not the same. Here is a sample of some SD I used Instant HD with.

Best of luck!

#3 Alessandro Machi

Alessandro Machi
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3318 posts
  • Other
  • California

Posted 03 October 2008 - 03:59 AM

I got lost trying to fully understand what you are saying. If I have as a criteria that I want the video to look normal, meaning no stuttering, aliasing, avoiding some of the weirdness I sometimes see on the lower cost HD formats, are you saying that can all be avoided all the time?

Abel Cine

FJS International, LLC

The Slider

Paralinx LLC

Metropolis Post

Ritter Battery

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Wooden Camera

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Tai Audio

Aerial Filmworks

Gamma Ray Digital Inc