Lenny Brewster

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Student

Posted 16 September 2008 - 01:24 PM

Hi everyone,

I shot for the first time using film yesterday for a school project. Now I'm worried that I might have missed a step and the footage is going to come out looking horrible. Here are the steps I took before shooting.

1) Loaded film with emulsion facing toward lens
2) Used a light meter on subject and took the f stop it gave me to use with my particular footage
3) Using a fixed (what I hope was 10mm) lens, I set the T stop to the number (which was 8)
4) With a depth of field chart I calculated if I was in the correct dof for the lens and light. It said near was good to 1'3" and far was infinite.
5) Started shooting with the motor set between 3 and 4 which I thought would get it to 24fps but I had to turn it up quite a bit to between 5 and 6.

The part I am really worried about is focus. There is another adjuster on the lens that I forgot about and am not even sure what it does. It is behind the t stop part and had number values going 0.8, 1, 1.4 ..... 6 and then the infinity sign. I am not sure if this part will affect the film greatly or not or if I set it to the right part.

Using film is very new to me and a bit confusing. If anyone can explain this to me and/or link me to a good tutorial that will explain it simply it would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

#2 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7116 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 16 September 2008 - 03:05 PM

Lenny, not knowing what camera you were on, or which lens, I would reckon that may well be the focus. Now, normally DoF is based upon where you have you lens focused to as well as the size of the lens (100mm in this case) and the stop (T8). Now; somehow you came up with a 1'3" to infinity DoF, which is pretty good, I'd say. But, that would only be for 1 focal point. But, here's the thing... Looking at my DoF table in my ASC manual... for a given 100MM lens on 16mm/35mm (assuming CoC of 0.0010in) DoF runs from 2'0" close @ an F8 (2'0" far too) focused @ 2ft, to 38'2"/86'8" @ F8/50ft... so the question is.. how did you do your DoF Calculation? Did you focus your lens at all? Did it Look in focus in the viewfinder?

#3 Lenny Brewster

Lenny Brewster

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Student

Posted 16 September 2008 - 03:19 PM

Lenny, not knowing what camera you were on, or which lens, I would reckon that may well be the focus. Now, normally DoF is based upon where you have you lens focused to as well as the size of the lens (100mm in this case) and the stop (T8). Now; somehow you came up with a 1'3" to infinity DoF, which is pretty good, I'd say. But, that would only be for 1 focal point. But, here's the thing... Looking at my DoF table in my ASC manual... for a given 100MM lens on 16mm/35mm (assuming CoC of 0.0010in) DoF runs from 2'0" close @ an F8 (2'0" far too) focused @ 2ft, to 38'2"/86'8" @ F8/50ft... so the question is.. how did you do your DoF Calculation? Did you focus your lens at all? Did it Look in focus in the viewfinder?

well i was using an Arriflex 16mm camera, and the lens was actually 10mm not 100mm. Looking through the viewer I adjusted the focus knob so that it was the most in focus I could get it, however my teacher says that looking through the viewfinder and seeing a shot in focus doesn't mean it will be in focus on the film. The subject was 5 1/2 feet away with 320 fc using a 10mm lens.

I did focus it so that it looked right in the viewfinder, but changing the focus from the furthest down it would go to the furthest up didn't produce a huge result but there was some definite blurring.

#4 Leo Anthony Vale

Leo Anthony Vale
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2010 posts
  • Other
  • Pittsburgh PA

Posted 16 September 2008 - 03:38 PM

I did focus it so that it looked right in the viewfinder, but changing the focus from the furthest down it would go to the furthest up didn't produce a huge result but there was some definite blurring.

Well, Jeez. it is a 10mm after all.

#5 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7116 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 16 September 2008 - 03:55 PM

Lenny, my mistake. In my stupor, I read 100mm as opposed to 10mm. With a 10MM on 16mm film, Your DoF should be pretty alright at an F8 regardless of focus. I believe my own 9.5 is something like 1 ft to infinity @ an 8... So yes... I'd not be too concerned. Of course, acceptable focus will be slightly subjective... but even then.. that wide.. should be fine .

#6 Lenny Brewster

Lenny Brewster

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Student

Posted 16 September 2008 - 06:34 PM

thanks! you've taken a load off my mind. i'm still use to shooting with video where you can see the results right after.

you've been very helpful, thanks again!

rebotnix Technologies

Willys Widgets

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Metropolis Post

Tai Audio

Glidecam

Visual Products

Wooden Camera

Ritter Battery

The Slider

Aerial Filmworks