4 replies to this topic

#1 Rich Hibner

Rich Hibner
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • Other

Posted 17 September 2008 - 02:11 AM

Who thinks that if the Digital Video trend continues and they start to push 30p that it will ever replade 24p? Anyone? I'm in favor of no, never, but others seem to think differently. Your thoughts? And seasoned pro's who've shot for many years on film, please don't be bias. No offense.

Edited by Rich Hibner, 17 September 2008 - 02:12 AM.

#2 John Brawley

John Brawley
  • Sustaining Members
  • 834 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Atlanta Georgia

Posted 17 September 2008 - 02:15 AM

Who thinks that if the Digital Video trend continues and they start to push 30p that it will ever replade 24p? Anyone? I'm in favor of no, never, but others seem to think differently. Your thoughts? And seasoned pro's who've shot for many years on film, please don't be bias. No offense.

24P works now because it's a global standard that works everywhere. 30P isn't used outside of the US and Japan.

30P / 60Hz has been a round for a while now. Don't see it suddenly taking over. What makes you think it will ???

jb

#3 Rich Hibner

Rich Hibner
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • Other

Posted 17 September 2008 - 02:46 AM

24P works now because it's a global standard that works everywhere. 30P isn't used outside of the US and Japan.

30P / 60Hz has been a round for a while now. Don't see it suddenly taking over. What makes you think it will ???

jb

I don't it will. I think the standard will always be 24p. I hate the look of 30p. 30p is soap opera and anything faster will take away the dramatic look to it.
A debate on some other forum with members practically dancing around the idea that 30p will be next gen frame rate for some reason or another.

#4 Russell Scott

Russell Scott
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
  • Other

Posted 17 September 2008 - 04:15 AM

I don't it will. I think the standard will always be 24p. I hate the look of 30p. 30p is soap opera and anything faster will take away the dramatic look to it.
A debate on some other forum with members practically dancing around the idea that 30p will be next gen frame rate for some reason or another.

who knows, if James Cameron gets his way, maybe 48fps will be the next digital standard!

#5 Chance Shirley

Chance Shirley
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts
  • Director

Posted 17 September 2008 - 04:20 PM

... please don't be bias. No offense.

We're all biased. That's why we like 24p, because we've been watching movies shot that way for years.

rebotnix Technologies

Wooden Camera

Technodolly

The Slider

Opal

Glidecam

Tai Audio

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Aerial Filmworks

Ritter Battery

FJS International, LLC

Paralinx LLC