#1 Allan Legarth Nielsen

Allan Legarth Nielsen
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • 2nd Assistant Camera

Posted 17 September 2008 - 07:24 PM

Hey

I'm not completely new in the filmmaking industry, but I now seriously want to get on more and more AC/loader jobs on pro productions. I'm based in Montreal.

I'm looking into building an AC kit, this will of course get bigger and bigger as times goes, but what is the basic stuff I need, and what are the good tips, so I have the stuff the others don't:-)

And where do I but these things?

Edited by Allan Legarth Nielsen, 17 September 2008 - 07:25 PM.

#2 Chris Keth

Chris Keth
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4427 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Los Angeles

Posted 17 September 2008 - 07:53 PM

I usually go to filmtools when I need stuff, it's right down the street from me. They have a website, just filmtools.com.

Bare basics would pretty much be a belt pouch, a leatherman, slate markers, pens, chalk, various camera and spike tape, lens fluid and tissue, and a small tool kit with screwdrivers (just get one of the 4-in-1 screwdrivers) and allen wrenches.

Some of those things are expendables and will be purchased by production but I always try and have some on hand. As you work, you'll just kind of accumulate camera expendables from shows.

#3 Brian Dzyak

Brian Dzyak
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1517 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Encino, California USA

Posted 17 September 2008 - 11:01 PM

Hey

I'm not completely new in the filmmaking industry, but I now seriously want to get on more and more AC/loader jobs on pro productions. I'm based in Montreal.

I'm looking into building an AC kit, this will of course get bigger and bigger as times goes, but what is the basic stuff I need, and what are the good tips, so I have the stuff the others don't:-)

And where do I but these things?

Head to www.whatireallywanttodo.com and click on "Additional Resources." Scroll to the bottom of the page to find some excellent books that focus on Camera Assisting. What I Really Want to Do: On Set in Hollywood describes everything you should have for each position in the camera department and how much you can expect to pay.

As mentioned, FILMTOOLS in Burbank has most of these items. Also try Panavision Woodland Hills, Panavision Hollywood, Alan Gordon in Hollywood, The Expendable Supply Store in Burbank, and Studio Depot (Mole Richardson) in Hollywood.

#4 Allan Legarth Nielsen

Allan Legarth Nielsen
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • 2nd Assistant Camera

Posted 18 September 2008 - 04:27 PM

Cheers.

does any of these have a online store:

Panavision Woodland Hills
Panavision Hollywood
Alan Gordon in Hollywood
The Expendable Supply Store in Burbank
Studio Depot (Mole Richardson) in Hollywood.

Visual Products

Technodolly

Wooden Camera

Ritter Battery

Paralinx LLC

Glidecam

rebotnix Technologies

Abel Cine

The Slider

Metropolis Post

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

CineLab