#1 Ric Kemp

Ric Kemp
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Director

Posted 19 September 2008 - 06:27 PM

Hi,

due to the relative paucity of Single 8 forums for discussion, on the web, i have decided to start a yahoo group dedicated to this format

http://movies.groups...ingle8cinefilm/

please drop by if you feel you can add anything to this new forum - the challenges to Single 8 are not inconsiderable at this crossroads in the medium's existence, with the eventual phasing out of Fujichrome and the brave advent of new filmstocks still in their infancy - i personally believe Single 8 is a format well worth holding in there with, even in these uncertain economic times

hope to see you there! ;)

Ric

#2 Jurgen Lossau

Jurgen Lossau
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • Producer

Posted 20 September 2008 - 05:18 AM

good idea!

#3 Ric Kemp

Ric Kemp
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Director

Posted 20 September 2008 - 05:59 PM

good idea!

thanks - not sure if i should have done a Single 8 Blog instead, but never mind :-o

took the ZC-1000 [ZCM] out today with Fuji Velvia and got in a right pickle - prepared for anything i over-reacted :D but i wasn't laughing at the time

inserted film in camera and tested: sprocket turning - no worries

filmed whole cassette - no problems :)

removed cassette and manual rewound to start, in Z-2 body - to save motor - this went like clockwork (smoothly) but i was slightly phased because there doesn't seem to be anything printed at the beginning of Velvia films, like there is on R25N? but no worries - re-inserted cassette into ZCM. Experiment in double exposure. Now the real fun began. I had mistakenly dropped the Forward-Reverse switch on the ZCM, instead of the on/off, so when i started filming again nothing happened!

checked everything and went through new routine of removing cassette in film-changing-bag, agitating it, then replacing it in camera, cassette in bag all the while. Of course, still no progress when i pressed the release button. changed batteries. no effect. stumped :unsure:

at that point i must have scanned the right side panel ready to 'lock' button the camera, that's when i noticed the directional switch in the 'R' reverse position. Flicking this back to 'F' forward resulted in the camera filming normally [floods of relief] and smoothly till the end of the second run.

filmed at 18fps (my standard) plus slow (36fps) and ultra slow (72fps) all without issue

did not lap dissolve - this is where i picked up problems initially. i have a Velvia earmarked for lap dissolve ~ out in the open again ~ in about a month, weather permitting. Then i will put the 'M' through everything plus the lap dissolve, and see what my luck is - i think the 'badger-in-the-bag' procedure will sort any problems, if they arise: a small price to pay for such an excellent camera + (Fuji zoom) lens

swopping lenses to a Canon FD 75-300mm zoom was tricky though - it is highly critical of light and (weird) its manual aperture has no apparent effect on the camera's light meter; using neutral density x4 and x8 filters works, as does manipulating the fractional exposure setting, but whatever satisfactory light reading you achieve is a fine balancing act: the least amount of extra illumination or shade in a scene will send the meter zooming into over or under expose. i do not understand why this should be so? The Fuji lens behaves normally with respect to the manual aperture and its effect on the light meter

but i am well pleased to put a new Velvia cassette through the camera - twice - with no actual glitches at all, apart from my own hyperopic blundering :-o

lol

R

Paralinx LLC

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

FJS International, LLC

Rig Wheels Passport

Willys Widgets

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Wooden Camera

Abel Cine

Visual Products

Opal