#1 Paul Bruening

Paul Bruening

(deceased)

• Sustaining Members
  • 2858 posts
  • Producer
  • Oxford, Mississippi

Posted 22 September 2008 - 02:44 PM

I run across references to B&H perfs being a problem with commie cams. What's the bottom line on this issue? Which cams can and which cams can't?

What's the "hole" story?

#2 Bruce Taylor

Bruce Taylor
  • Sustaining Members
  • 482 posts
  • Other
  • Los Angeles

Posted 22 September 2008 - 04:12 PM

I run across references to B&H perfs being a problem

Who's Connie?

I'm no expert, but this is what I know: Commie cams were made for Kodak (KS) perf 35mm film, and we in the West, as you know, use the B&H perfs for camera stock. KS perf stock being used for projection prints.

A commie cam like the Konvas does not have a reg pin, in that case it doesn't care which (KS or BH) perf film is used, so there are no concerns.

The Kinor (don't know about others but I imagine the same issue) does have a registration pin, and it must be modified to accept B&H perfs. It has been my experience that any Kinor that was actually used after the breakup of the Soviet Union has been modified to B&H perfs because they were shooting Western (Kodak or Fuji) film. It is apparently not an expensive mod, a few hundred dollars.

I have a pile of Kinor 35H bodies, and they were all modified before I got them.

Being a Mitchell man, you wouldn't have anything to worry about-- unless you're putting together a 1 perf Kinor.... or?

Bruce Taylor
www.Indi35.com

#3 Leo Anthony Vale

Leo Anthony Vale
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2010 posts
  • Other
  • Pittsburgh PA

Posted 22 September 2008 - 04:18 PM

I run across references to B&H perfs being a problem with commie cams. What's the bottom line on this issue? Which cams can and which cams can't?

What's the "hole" story?

B&H perfs are the standard negative holes, while Kodak Standard are the positve holes.

It seems that at some international standards conference in the late 30s, it was decided it would be ultimeately more convenient to standardize everything to the KS perfs. Before this happened WWII took place, it was in all the papers. The changeover was put so far behind the back burner, nitrate stock you understand, that it never happened; except in the very progressive Soviet Union!

So any Soviet camera that has registration pins has to use KS perforated film. To use BH perfed stock the pins have to be changed. The Konvas and the Arri II & Eyemo knockoffs don't have registration pins, so they can use either stock.

Damn you, Taylor.

#4 Paul Bruening

Paul Bruening

(deceased)

• Sustaining Members
  • 2858 posts
  • Producer
  • Oxford, Mississippi

Posted 22 September 2008 - 05:35 PM

Who's Connie?

Dohhhh!

I recall a few posters asking about skip-frame, 2-perf a while back. I saw a 1M go on Ebay for $450.00. Since many commie cams have those interesting pressure plate mags, I had given a little brain farting to the idea of running one in skip-frame, 2-perf. It means loading the mag twice with the same roll and coming up with some sort of film marking and alignment system. Raf supplies 2-perf gates.

I would rather do this with an Eyemo. But, skip-frame isn't a great approach with daylight loading and 100' rolls.

Neither is a really good idea. I was just thinking. I'm too broke to do anything at all. Thinking's cheap.

#5 Hal Smith

Hal Smith
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2280 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • OKC area

Posted 22 September 2008 - 06:20 PM

Dohhhh!

Neither is a really good idea. I was just thinking. I'm too broke to do anything at all. Thinking's cheap.

Homer would be proud.

Being broke is apt to be everyone's situation shortly...only $6K/person to bail out the Dom Perignon crowd?

Michael Moore is probably ordering filmstock for his next doc, "RipOff", as we speak....

#6 James Steven Beverly

James Steven Beverly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4199 posts
  • Director
  • El Paso, Texas

Posted 22 September 2008 - 09:50 PM

Dohhhh!

I recall a few posters asking about skip-frame, 2-perf a while back. I saw a 1M go on Ebay for $450.00. Since many commie cams have those interesting pressure plate mags, I had given a little brain farting to the idea of running one in skip-frame, 2-perf. It means loading the mag twice with the same roll and coming up with some sort of film marking and alignment system. Raf supplies 2-perf gates.

I would rather do this with an Eyemo. But, skip-frame isn't a great approach with daylight loading and 100' rolls.

I saw that sucker and passed on it. It looked to me like they cleaned it up to sell and the electronics were shot on the 15ep motor so I didn't trust it. I really don't think you missed out on anything you would have wanted anyway. You can still occasionally get a deal on a Konvas so just wait for the next one. With a Konvas you don't have a perf problem so you'll be fine with any one you buy unless it's just plain worn out. The Kinors have to be converted but most of those already come that way as for the other stuff they have, the Mitchell and Arri 2 copies, those guys know they can't sell them unless they use B&H perf film so they're probably already converted as well. It usually says in the ad.

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Willys Widgets

CineLab

Paralinx LLC

The Slider

Abel Cine

FJS International, LLC

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Aerial Filmworks

Metropolis Post

Technodolly

CineTape