#1 K Borowski

K Borowski
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3905 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • I.A.T.S.E. Local # 600 Eastern Region

Posted 23 September 2008 - 08:47 AM

I have heard that this may be the last batch of K64 ever made that is sitting in a cave right now.

If we can convince the film's stubborn manufacturers of the business sense in cutting this in movie film sizes, would anyone be interested in shooting it?

#2 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7117 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 23 September 2008 - 09:06 AM

As you know, of course I would. Though I'd need a production willing to let me shoot it first!

#3 andy oliver

andy oliver
  • Sustaining Members
  • 258 posts
  • Other
  • uk

Posted 23 September 2008 - 10:56 AM

Hi, looks like k/c will see its 75th anniversary then, at the same time kodak will axe the product. I cetainly would be 100% interested in k64 any format, 16mm, ds-8 or 8mm. Won't happen though as kodak will have to adapt the stock for MP, lubricate etc. Over to the the likes of Wittner to persuade kodak then.

#4 John Holland

John Holland
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2248 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • London England

Posted 23 September 2008 - 11:08 AM

Sad but i think you will have to accept that Kodak have no more interest in motion picture stock anymore . Just look at 5219/7219 . :(

#5 Nate Downes

Nate Downes
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1638 posts
  • Florida, USA

Posted 23 September 2008 - 03:05 PM

Kodak's maneuvers are making little sence as of late. "We turn a profit with this division... let's axe that division!"

#6 Matthew Buick

Matthew Buick
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2345 posts
  • Student
  • Newcastle upon Tyne, UK.

Posted 23 September 2008 - 04:11 PM

I'd shoot it! Especially as it's going soon.

Sad but i think you will have to accept that Kodak have no more interest in motion picture stock anymore . Just look at 5219/7219 . :(

What's wrong with 5219? Surely and revision in stock quality shows Kodak's interest. Or is there not enough improvement to warrant a new stock line?

#7 K Borowski

K Borowski
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3905 posts
  • Camera Operator

Posted 23 September 2008 - 05:59 PM

Hi, looks like k/c will see its 75th anniversary then, at the same time kodak will axe the product. I cetainly would be 100% interested in k64 any format, 16mm, ds-8 or 8mm. Won't happen though as kodak will have to adapt the stock for MP, lubricate etc. Over to the the likes of Wittner to persuade kodak then.

Wrong: only change would be the location of the punches. I'm trying to get in touch with Wittner, as they'd probably be the ones who would reload DS8 into S8 and do the lubrication themselves.

We just want the uncut rawstock from Kodak.

Just heard back from D'Wayne's today and they can still do up to 400 feet anyway from 8mm to 35mm

#8 andy oliver

andy oliver
  • Sustaining Members
  • 258 posts
  • Other
  • uk

Posted 23 September 2008 - 06:42 PM

as long as kodak perfs the film, thats good enough for me.

#9 Ira Ratner

Ira Ratner
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts
  • Other
  • Coral Springs, Florida

Posted 24 September 2008 - 05:18 AM

What kind of lengths are you talking about?

This is kind of the same stock I shot stills with in the 60s, right? (But 25.) If so, I WANT!

Hell, they even wrote a song about it.

Edited by Ira Ratner, 24 September 2008 - 05:20 AM.

#10 Jim Carlile

Jim Carlile
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 464 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 26 September 2008 - 02:58 AM

The Wittner people say that the K-64 still film is coated on a thicker base than MP film and is thus unsuitable for MP use. Apparently Kodak won't FTO this film.

Where did you hear of this last-batch thing?

#11 Will Montgomery

Will Montgomery
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2030 posts
  • Producer
  • Dallas, TX

Posted 30 September 2008 - 08:44 AM

The Wittner people say that the K-64 still film is coated on a thicker base than MP film and is thus unsuitable for MP use. Apparently Kodak won't FTO this film.

Got the same response from my Kodak rep after offering to buy $20k of it if they would do a test. They weren't interested and sent me E100D instead.

I recently shot 3 rolls of K-64 still film and loved it outside on a sunny day. Even with a good flash inside it looked decent. Those pastels in the skin tones are wonderful. Plus of course they will last for over 100 years.

#12 K Borowski

K Borowski
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3905 posts
  • Camera Operator

Posted 30 September 2008 - 09:21 AM

Where did you hear of this last-batch thing?

Jim, what does FTO stand for? That's funny, because the Mr. Wittner has said he's been interested in getting this film made after I contacted him about that.

Are you sure of your sources? It's possible they've tried and been given that explanation, but even if the base *were* a different thickness, the effects would be minimal. That sounds like a classic Kodak excuse. You know what I am going to do Jim, I am going to take a piece of S8 and a piece of slide Kodachrome film into work tonight and measure the thickness with a multimeter to make absolutely certain. . .

I heard the last batch thing from John Schwind who heard it from the guy in charge of direct-from-Kodak film orders inside of Kodak, so at the very least, Kodak is considering not making another batch.

I guess, thinking about it, that K64 would have issues if it were a different thickness than K40A S8 because of the cartridge.

However, at the very least then, it'd open up the possibility of using it in 16 and DS8 mm. What about those reloadable Russian S8 cartridges. Surely there are S8 cameras out there that wouldn't mind thicker or thinner film.

It's not like most S8 cameras are precision-built anyway.

#13 Will Montgomery

Will Montgomery
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2030 posts
  • Producer
  • Dallas, TX

Posted 30 September 2008 - 09:48 AM

Karl, your box is full.

#14 K Borowski

K Borowski
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3905 posts
  • Camera Operator

Posted 30 September 2008 - 11:27 AM

Karl, your box is full.

Sorry, will. Have received your message and left a response. . .

#15 andy oliver

andy oliver
  • Sustaining Members
  • 258 posts
  • Other
  • uk

Posted 30 September 2008 - 12:42 PM

Lets hope Mr Wittner can somehow secure a deal with kodak, i'm in for £5k worth of 16mm k64, providing the film transports properly!!

Aerial Filmworks

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Abel Cine

CineTape

Wooden Camera

Paralinx LLC

The Slider

Rig Wheels Passport

Ritter Battery

Metropolis Post

CineLab

Willys Widgets