P2 Workflow

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Jake Dunkelberger

Jake Dunkelberger
  • Guests

Posted 23 September 2008 - 12:43 PM

I was wondering if anyone can give me some tips to P2 workflow. I have used the AJ-HPM110
Mobile P2 HD Recorder/Player to offload them but i was wondering if any one can tell me what other methods there are to getting the data off the p2 cards. I think i will be using a laptop to get the data off. Also once you have the data off the cards how do you get them into fcp. I know you have to get the xml file into quick time but have never got the files into fcp. Just curious just in case they want that done.

Thanks

#2 Robert Tagliaferri

Robert Tagliaferri
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 25 September 2008 - 05:37 PM

You can pop the P2 cards directly into the PCMIA slot on a laptop (you need to have the correct drivers installed for the mac though) and copy the data over. There are also various adapters for the newer mac laptops that have a different slot (can't remember the type)

To compile the footage you need to use the latest version of final cut (or close to it). There's an option in the 'File' menu to 'Log and Transfer' or 'import p2' on older FCP versions. It will ask you to select the folder with the P2 footage and bring up an interface for capturing the footage. It will compile the QT files to the project's capture scratch.

Panasonic also has a program called 'p2contents management software', but it's poorly translated from Japanese (even worse than Panasonic's manuals) and it's very clunky. It will allow you to view/verify P2 footage without compiling, so it's handy if you don't have FCP installed.

The normal/safest workflow would be:

After the full p2 card comes off the camera
copy p2 'contents' folder to HDD1, organized by dump# or reel# --> open contents folder in FCP and verify footage --> re-copy contents folder from HDD1 to HDD2 (backup) --> format p2 card --> return to camera dept.

You don't necessarily have to compile the footage on set, this can be done later by the editors, as it takes a little while. Once the footage has been compiled to the scratch disk the contents folder becomes sort of redundant, though if you wanted to work with the footage you'd have to compile it again. It is prudent to have at least 2 copies of the footage at all times though.

The media manager could spend their downtime double-checking the footage for focus, or maybe even reviewing it with the editor/director to make sure you've got everything.

Opal

Willys Widgets

Technodolly

rebotnix Technologies

FJS International, LLC

Glidecam

Visual Products

Aerial Filmworks

CineTape

Ritter Battery

Tai Audio

Wooden Camera