#1 Ira Ratner

Ira Ratner
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts
  • Other
  • Coral Springs, Florida

Posted 24 September 2008 - 05:27 AM

I pulled the trigger on one for $225, but no head.

What's a reasonably priced head that I can use for awhile until I can afford something really good? (For K-3 now.) I just want a 6-month interim solution because I've been spending money like crazy, and I gotta start spending it on film and processing instead of EQUIPMENT.

#2 Warwick Hempleman

Warwick Hempleman
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • Germany

Posted 25 September 2008 - 08:28 AM

I pulled the trigger on one for $225, but no head.

What's a reasonably priced head that I can use for awhile until I can afford something really good? (For K-3 now.) I just want a 6-month interim solution because I've been spending money like crazy, and I gotta start spending it on film and processing instead of EQUIPMENT.

Rental for wooden sticks (List price, in Coral Gables) is $2/day, which is in line with the "1% of cost for daily rental" old school rule of thumb based on your online purchase. It sounds like you overpaid for the sticks. Does that price include a spreader and a case? Ask about renting a head before you buy one. Anything useful as a fluid or even friction camera head will start in the middle 4 figures, but again will rent for under $50 / day, possibly way under.

Edited by Warwick Hempleman, 25 September 2008 - 08:29 AM.

#3 Ira Ratner

Ira Ratner
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts
  • Other
  • Coral Springs, Florida

Posted 25 September 2008 - 05:55 PM

Rental for wooden sticks (List price, in Coral Gables) is $2/day, which is in line with the "1% of cost for daily rental" old school rule of thumb based on your online purchase. It sounds like you overpaid for the sticks. Does that price include a spreader and a case? Ask about renting a head before you buy one. Anything useful as a fluid or even friction camera head will start in the middle 4 figures, but again will rent for under $50 / day, possibly way under.

Warwick, I know you live on a different continent, but do you live in a different universe as well?

Through what reasoning, under what set of principles, via what logic can you possibly recommend renting a tripod as opposed to owning one?

Plus, for a hobbyist like me?

Plus the fact that it will run me 20 bucks in gas to run to Coral Gables? (That's Miami, which is Dade--and I'm Broward.)

Plus the fact that the idea of renting a tripod is totally retarded on every level because it's totally impractical?

Plus the fact that you're telling me that I have to spend THOUSANDS of dollars for a HEAD? (You know that's what middle 4 figures means, right? Thousands of dollars? Or did you mean to say $400 and up?)

I will try to ignore your post, but it was so ridiculous, that's really not all that easy to do.

#4 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7118 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 25 September 2008 - 06:21 PM

He's right about the head. Cheapest i've seen a pro/good head for these days is around 1000. . .
Dunno 'bout that tripod though.
Check visualproducts.com

#5 Ira Ratner

Ira Ratner
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts
  • Other
  • Coral Springs, Florida

Posted 25 September 2008 - 06:33 PM

Again:

I'm an amateur, shooting with a K-3.

There's a REASON that Bogen sells heads starting at 69 bucks. And a reason why they sell so many $500 heads:

Sold to shmucks who really just need the $69 head in the first place, but THINK they need the $500 one.

#6 Warwick Hempleman

Warwick Hempleman
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • Germany

Posted 25 September 2008 - 09:08 PM

I've been working in this business for 30+ years, first in the US and now in Europe. You mentioned the money you're burning through prior to shooting any film. By your logic thus far advanced, you may need to buy a processing plant and an optical printer followed by a flatbed editing suite and a projector.

As in any capital-intensive undertaking rental is the better option for utilization of resources. Construction is one example that easily comes to mind. Think about how many days you'll actually be using a gadget (tripod, head, dolly, lights, track, etc.) vs. purchase and eventual resale. Now add in the cost of insuring that item against theft, damage, etc., and be sure to include liability insurance. Regardless of whether you rent or purchase everything, you'll need to move it around - that costs money, too, even if it's just gas for your own pickup / SUV / minivan. If you intend to work off of your own property, you may need permits, which will also run into money and time for securing.

Since you bought a reasonably good set of legs, you'd want an O'Conner, Cartoni, or Ronford head to complement them. Unfortunately the legs look to be set up for stills work and probably can't accomodate any of those. When you finish fiddling around with spring-driven camera heads, and you see what the real stuff costs, review what I said above and in my previous post.

Finally, shouting, abusive language and invective won't really get anybody too far in this forum or in the world. Lighten up - you're asking for advice, if it doesn't fit your version of things, maybe you ought to rethink what you're trying to do.

So-did you get a spreader and a case with your tripod?

Edited by Warwick Hempleman, 25 September 2008 - 09:13 PM.

#7 Sanjay Sami

Sanjay Sami
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 258 posts
  • Grip
  • Anywhere they pay me to go

Posted 26 September 2008 - 10:56 AM

I think Warwick was offering well intentioned advice. Maybe you should quit being a hobbyist and become a pro. That way you can buy real equipment, shoot with real film and get paid to do it rather that think about using 50$ camera heads. (Get the Oconnor 2575C) ;)

Sanjay Sami
Key Grip

#8 Darryl Richard Humber

Darryl Richard Humber
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • Grip

Posted 27 September 2008 - 12:26 AM

Warwick, I know you live on a different continent, but do you live in a different universe as well?

Through what reasoning, under what set of principles, via what logic can you possibly recommend renting a tripod as opposed to owning one?

Plus, for a hobbyist like me?

Plus the fact that it will run me 20 bucks in gas to run to Coral Gables? (That's Miami, which is Dade--and I'm Broward.)

Plus the fact that the idea of renting a tripod is totally retarded on every level because it's totally impractical?

Plus the fact that you're telling me that I have to spend THOUSANDS of dollars for a HEAD? (You know that's what middle 4 figures means, right? Thousands of dollars? Or did you mean to say $400 and up?)

I will try to ignore your post, but it was so ridiculous, that's really not all that easy to do.

No Ira, your post was ridiculous. You go on a forum and ask for advice as a self described "amateur" and get an answer from a veteran of the industry with thirty years in on two continents who took time out of his day to answer you honestly. When you didn't like his answer you replied in an extremely insulting manner. Warwick's answer was a valid one, as most of the professionals on this forum, whom you run to all the time for advice, would tell you. You were out of line.

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Visual Products

Tai Audio

Technodolly

rebotnix Technologies

Ritter Battery

Metropolis Post

Rig Wheels Passport

The Slider

Opal

Paralinx LLC

Willys Widgets