#1 Hayden Bannochie

Hayden Bannochie

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Student

Posted 24 September 2008 - 06:00 PM

Is it possible to mount any lens on the Red Cam?

As a small experiment i would like try mounting some old Super 8 and Bolex 16mm lenses on the Red Cam.

I am interested of this combination of the old and the new. And how this would effect the quality of the image.

Any ideas or photographic examples of what can be achieved through this technique would be greatly appreciated.

many thanks

#2 Jonathan Bowerbank

Jonathan Bowerbank
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2815 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • San Francisco, CA

Posted 24 September 2008 - 06:48 PM

I'm pretty sure you would have to engineer a face with the c-mount built into it, to replace the face of the Red with the PL Mount. And you would have to figure out the right flange focal length to get the correct back focus for those lenses.

But it would pretty much defeat the purpose because a c-mount lens won't be able to cover the entire 4k frame. You could try 2k, and probably have to zoom in on the frame in post...but at that point, why shoot with the Red?

#3 Brian Drysdale

Brian Drysdale
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5070 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 25 September 2008 - 03:53 AM

Looks like you can use a C mount if you convert the RED to the IMS mount. People do use the RED in window 2k, I suspect more on documentaries than drama work.

http://www.pstechnik.../optics-ims.php

Downside is that RED currently say that the IMS voids their warranty, but a number of RED owners are expressing an interest and I expect, as their warranty period, runs out quite a few will convert their cameras. However, most of these people are interested in using stills camera lenses as well as PL mount or even BNCR mount cine lenses rather than C mount.

Edited by Brian Drysdale, 25 September 2008 - 03:54 AM.

#4 John Sprung

John Sprung
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4635 posts
  • Other

Posted 25 September 2008 - 07:19 PM

I'm pretty sure you would have to engineer a face with the c-mount built into it, to replace the face of the Red with the PL Mount. And you would have to figure out the right flange focal length to get the correct back focus for those lenses.

C mount flange focal distance is 0.690", PL is 2.047". Red's OLPF is fairly far from the focal plane, that might also be an issue in making a "C" front for it. If the back element extends deep enough on a "C" lens, it might hit the OLPF.

-- J.S.

Abel Cine

Glidecam

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Rig Wheels Passport

FJS International, LLC

rebotnix Technologies

Wooden Camera

The Slider

Ritter Battery

Metropolis Post

CineLab