George Tampakakis

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Other
  • Greece

Posted 26 September 2008 - 06:19 PM

Hello everyone! This is my first post here,please be patient of my ignorance on techical terms :rolleyes:
After reading almost every post regarding 16mm cinematography i decided to make the big step and purchased an Arri 16s of off e-bay.I believe it was a good choise (the camera seems to be in very good condition),but i need your experienced opinion on that...
It's only four days since it came to my possession and i haven't been able to run it yet because the package didn't include a battery or a step down transformer :(
I know that it should be sent to a technician (after all it's a 50 year old piece of machinery) but i'd like to run a few rolls of film through it before sending it to another country (i'm in Greece you see...).
Take a look at the pics and tell me if you see something wrong (just for starters) :P

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I have read the manual (thanks Tim) but i want to be sure about some things.Do i put the oil in the slots marked (by me) in red? How much? Would a drop be enough?
The motor has some slight rust marks,could this be a problem?

Posted Image

I'm also a bit concerned about not being able to turn the inner "lever" of the motor (R - F)...I don't want to force it...The manual says it should "click" when locked to a position,but mine doesn't move at all!Am i doing something wrong here?

Posted Image

What specs should a step down transformer have in order to work correctly with this motor?
Will any 240V to 12V transformer work? Will i stumble at longterm problems,given the fact that the motor works at 8V?
Same question goes for the battery as well...Since i don't have a cable and i will have one fixed for me,is there anything else i should be aware of?
The camera came with a "fake" film roll.I believe it's use would be to learn how to load the film to the camera.Would i be in trouble if i used it for the same purpose? (It's very old). :unsure:

Posted Image

I'm sure you noticed something weird in the first photo...The lens... <_<
If anyone could enlighten me,i would be more than happy!All i know is that this must be for macro cinematography...Objects come to focus only 4cm (about 1,6 inches) away from the lense.
I couldn't find anything on the net about it...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Since we are into lenses for Arri Standard Mount now,could i ask if this would fit my camera?
"COOKE Telepanchro T 4,5 / 203 mm (8 INCH)".
Are the Cooke Kinetals the best choise for this mount?

Another question (i almost forgot this).Is the viewfinder supposed to be a little grainy?

Ok.Ok. This could continue forever... :rolleyes: ...I'm stopping for the time being.
Thanks in advance to anyone who takes the time to answer all my newbie questions!

#2 alexandros petin

alexandros petin
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • Athens Greece

Posted 27 September 2008 - 10:38 AM

Hello!

When i was searching about the power supply to test a Locam 16mm camera running at 28v DC i was i advised to avoid any 240V to xxV
transformer because there are more things to know about the motor than just the voltage and the Ahmps consumption. I not that good with electronics but to find an 8volt battery is the best not to fry your motor.

If the fake film roll is sticky do not run it through your camera. You will have junk stuck to the mechanism.

Im not into arri s i have a bolex but i think that you will have to adjust the viewfinder according to your sight and yes to be grainy.

If you are in Athens pm me. we can meet and play with our cameras. Im not an expert im a beginner in 16mm too but still i have shot some film and maybe could help you.

#3 Tim Carroll

Tim Carroll
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2165 posts
  • Other
  • Chicago, Illinois

Posted 27 September 2008 - 07:25 PM

Quite a few questions there George,

Hello everyone! This is my first post here,please be patient of my ignorance on techical terms :rolleyes:
After reading almost every post regarding 16mm cinematography i decided to make the big step and purchased an Arri 16s of off e-bay.I believe it was a good choise (the camera seems to be in very good condition),but i need your experienced opinion on that...
It's only four days since it came to my possession and i haven't been able to run it yet because the package didn't include a battery or a step down transformer :(
I know that it should be sent to a technician (after all it's a 50 year old piece of machinery) but i'd like to run a few rolls of film through it before sending it to another country (i'm in Greece you see...).

It would be best to have the camera overhauled before you run it, especially if it has been more than four years since it was last serviced. The Arriflex 16S camera is a wet lube camera and unfortunately the lubricants dry up over time and become somewhat gummy and do not protect the bearing surfaces.

I have read the manual (thanks Tim) but i want to be sure about some things.Do i put the oil in the slots marked (by me) in red? How much? Would a drop be enough?

The Arriflex 16S takes special ARRI oil that is formulated especially for the bronze/steel bearing surfaces in the camera. It is called chronosynth (sp). Normally you use the special ARRI oiler to put one or two drops into each lubrication hole every 50,000 feet of film or so.

The motor has some slight rust marks,could this be a problem?
I'm also a bit concerned about not being able to turn the inner "lever" of the motor (R - F)...I don't want to force it...The manual says it should "click" when locked to a position,but mine doesn't move at all!Am i doing something wrong here?

The rust on the motor would concern me a bit, especially if the forward and reverse switch does not work. The switch should click back and forth with no problem. Does the motor shaft itself turn?

What specs should a step down transformer have in order to work correctly with this motor?
Will any 240V to 12V transformer work? Will i stumble at longterm problems,given the fact that the motor works at 8V?
Same question goes for the battery as well...Since i don't have a cable and i will have one fixed for me,is there anything else i should be aware of?

Don't know about step down transformers or how things are wired in Greece. But I do know that the camera and motor take 8 volts. You can usually get by on running the variable speed motor (the one you have pictured) with 12 volts. Just don't run 12 volts through the constant speed motor or you will burn it up.

The camera came with a "fake" film roll.I believe it's use would be to learn how to load the film to the camera.Would i be in trouble if i used it for the same purpose? (It's very old). :unsure:

I'd take that fake film off the spool, throw the film in the garbage, and keep the empty spool as you will need it when you load your first roll of "real film" into the camera.

Since we are into lenses for Arri Standard Mount now,could i ask if this would fit my camera?
"COOKE Telepanchro T 4,5 / 203 mm (8 INCH)".
Are the Cooke Kinetals the best choise for this mount?

Don't know the Cooke Telepanchro you refer to, but I have always been a big fan of the Kinetals.

Another question (i almost forgot this).Is the viewfinder supposed to be a little grainy?

Yes.

Best,
-Tim

#4 George Tampakakis

George Tampakakis

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Other
  • Greece

Posted 28 September 2008 - 10:10 AM

Thanks for the responses guys!

Alexandros you have p.m. :ph34r:

Tim,the outer knob of the motor turns smoothly without problems,in addition to the registration pin and the shutter.

Any comment on the lens?!?
Is there a catalogue of all Arri Std Mount lenses ever made available somewhere in the net?

Wooden Camera

Abel Cine

FJS International, LLC

Opal

rebotnix Technologies

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Glidecam

Ritter Battery

The Slider

Willys Widgets

Tai Audio

Broadcast Solutions Inc