#1 kishor karki

kishor karki

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Camera Operator

Posted 28 September 2008 - 01:59 PM

hello, i have a query about si2k. can anyone working with the cam suggest me that i'm getting pretty soft images with the cam. is it to do with the cam sensor or the optics?? i was using s16 8-64 zoom lens.

thank you.

#2 Stephen Williams

Stephen Williams
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4708 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Europe

Posted 28 September 2008 - 02:37 PM

hello, i have a query about si2k. can anyone working with the cam suggest me that i'm getting pretty soft images with the cam. is it to do with the cam sensor or the optics?? i was using s16 8-64 zoom lens.

thank you.

Hi,

Could you post an image? 2k Bayer is fairly soft the SI looks the same as the RED @ 2K IMHO.

Stephen

#3 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7118 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 28 September 2008 - 02:38 PM

IIRC, due to the bayer pattern, it wouldn't really resolve 2K, more like 1.5K give or take? Might be the issue? Talking out my ass a bit on that, but perhaps scaling down to 1080p would "sharpen" it's looks a tad.

#4 Brian Drysdale

Brian Drysdale
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5070 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 28 September 2008 - 04:52 PM

Any SI 2K frame grabs I've seen tend to to have a "16mm" quality about them, but I wouldn't call them soft, more lower resolution compared to the RED 4k frames I've seen.

It won't have edge enhancement, so it'll have softer look compared to video.

#5 Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Austin

Posted 28 September 2008 - 08:26 PM

Could be that lens too, or a combination. Have you shot with any primes?

#6 Rohan Dadswell

Rohan Dadswell
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • Canberra, Australia

Posted 29 September 2008 - 04:44 AM

Make sure that the lens is colomated to the SI-2K. When I first got mine I borrowed a few lenses off a mates Aaton and they all looked a bit soft. Turns out that while both the camera's mounts were within specs they were slightly different and this caused some softness. I think with a zoom this would be even more of a problem.

Yes, the SI-2K does not have the 'video sharpness' of other HD cameras but you can always dial in detail sharpness in post if you like that look - but that wont help if the lens is soft.

Are you judging the soft look on the camera monitor/viewfinder or in post at full rez?

#7 Rohan Dadswell

Rohan Dadswell
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • Canberra, Australia

Posted 29 September 2008 - 04:53 AM

Also make sure that you are shooting at quality 3 or 4.
Q1 & 2 will be softer.

#8 Jason Rodriguez

Jason Rodriguez
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 16 October 2008 - 11:44 PM

Also make sure you are not using the DPX, JPEG, or BMP from the "SAVE IMAGE" frame-grabs. Only use the DNG for resolution tests. The others do not have a great debayer algorithm, and so they will appear soft.

#9 Michael Maier

Michael Maier
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
  • Camera Operator

Posted 17 October 2008 - 02:13 AM

I think this is just a characteristic of the SI2K. After all it's a 2K camera which in 16:9 is not that much different from 1080. When you throw the Bayer in, it gets even closer if not lower. From what I have seen from the SI2K it's not sharper than the Sony EX1 or EX3. I would actually say it may be softer than these cameras.
Having said that, if it is really soft, like almost SD soft, it may be the lens. If you are using and old C mount 16m lens you probably won't get all the sharpness the camera can produce.

Edited by Michael Maier, 17 October 2008 - 02:16 AM.

#10 Jason Rodriguez

Jason Rodriguez
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 18 October 2008 - 01:46 PM

Keep in mind the Sony cameras have in-camera sharpening, where-as we do not (this would be counter-productive to sharpen RAW, even during the RAW decode, since sharpening is irreversible). If you want to reduplicate that in-camera sharpening effect, you will have to sharpen in post.

From my experience with cameras like the F900, HDC-1500, etc., a similar "softness" can be achieved with the Sony cameras that allow you to turn the sharpness all the way off.

#11 DS Williams

DS Williams
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 25 January 2009 - 10:50 PM

The SI 2k looks a but to me like a glorified hpx500 or hdx900...it has a panny look.

But, I saw Slumdog in theaters and the camera not only looked soft, it looked extremely noisy as well. Noisy in shadows and midtones, I even saw pixels firing to white and back. It was strange.

Rig Wheels Passport

Aerial Filmworks

rebotnix Technologies

CineTape

CineLab

Abel Cine

The Slider

Opal

Glidecam

Paralinx LLC

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Ritter Battery