Commercial Opportunities with Current TV

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Kristopher Knight

Kristopher Knight
  • Guests

Posted 29 September 2008 - 02:58 PM

Hey Cinematography

My name's Kris and I with Outreach at Current TV, television network in San Francisco, CA. I recently found this forum and thought everyone here might be interested to know about the VCAM [Viewer Created Ad Message] program at Current TV and the current assignments we have going on. Current is all about viewer created content, and VCAMs offer opportunities for viewers to create advertisements for network sponsors. If your ad is selected to air on Current, you'll
earn $2500. VCAM is really cool opportunity for pre-professionals and folks wanting to improve their reels with real-world products.

The assignment we have going on right now is for HP Printers. Here's some quick info:

HP VCAM: What Do You Have To Say?.
Assignment: http://www.current.com/hp
Video: http://current.com/i...p_vcam_tv_promo

If you have questions, throw down a reply or email me at kknight @ currentmedia . com.

Thanks. Have a good one.

Kris Knight

#2 Dan Collins

Dan Collins
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 30 September 2008 - 09:53 AM

I'm not a fan of contests like these. It smacks of a cheap way to get filmmakers to make a bunch of commercials for them to see so they don't have to pay an advertising company for the time to think up and show the company samples. They only have to pay the one they like. At least when companies like coca-cola do it, they have enough money to pay for all the other commercial spots, so it seems like more of regular contest, like their many win-a-prize contests, not just a cheap way for them to get an ad done. Before anyone gets uptight, I'm sure that someone will still find it worth while for them personally make a commercial, so Current TV won't lose anything because of my viewpoint.

#3 Kristopher Knight

Kristopher Knight
  • Guests

Posted 30 September 2008 - 12:42 PM

Hey Dan

The VCAM program is a part of the larger theme at Current. Roughly 40% of our content is viewer made because we want people to have a voice. But since all of our content is non-fiction, that can be a little limiting. So, with VCAM, we want people to have the voice of how we should advertise these products.

We try to break away from the "contest" structure that people have seen before. Instead, we hold our assignments regularly and frequently, offer a consistent price of $2,500 (much more if the company wants to take it anywhere besides Current), and don't define one, singular "winner". Instead, the company decides how many VCAMs to purchase. On an earlier assignment this year for Wachovia, they purchased 8! It just depends.

I hope this helps out in giving more detail about the program. Thanks.

Ritter Battery

CineTape

Glidecam

Paralinx LLC

Opal

Metropolis Post

Visual Products

Aerial Filmworks

Tai Audio

Technodolly

FJS International, LLC

Broadcast Solutions Inc