3 replies to this topic

#1 Dan Collins

Dan Collins
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 01 October 2008 - 03:02 PM

I constantly hear about how important it is to negotiate for a better rate. Is anyone here willing to divulge their secrets on how to negotiate successfully.

Some of the situations that I have been in and didn't know how to ask, or what to say to get more money:

1) Staff position I asked for a raise and they came back a few days later and offered a lower rate. I ended up giving them my resignation notice right then. The job had several problems and wasn't worth it to me if I didn't get paid a decent rate. But most of the time, I am not looking to immediately quit over a raise.

2) When interviewing for a job and being offered it, they say "We can only pay xxx, is that ok?" That one always seems as if they expect me to say no it isn't. But if I do, I am afraid I won't get the job.

How do you guys successfully or not so successfuly negotiate for more money?

#2 Brian Dzyak

Brian Dzyak
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1517 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Encino, California USA

Posted 01 October 2008 - 05:09 PM

For me, it really depends on the job and the circumstances. In general, I'm not going to accept anything less than, say $100 less than my normal 10 hour rate. The freelance world is a lot like the Wild West where one company and/or Producer will pay X while another will only pay Y. It's important to leave a little wiggle room, but also being careful to not set up precedents that not only are negative for you, but also for everyone else who is in the market for work. Most professionals have worked for a long time to gain the experience that justifies their rate. If someone is so hungry for work that he/she is willing to undercut just to get a job, then they are hurting themselves and everyone else.

Then again, anyone willing to work for a low low rate likely isn't going to be that good so quality Producers won't take them seriously and give them a job anyway.

But in general, be willing to give up a little on the hourly/daily, but if you have to, make sure that the OT provisions are in place (no half days or flat rates!) and other things like transportation and box rentals are being paid for.

#3 Dan Collins

Dan Collins
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 08 October 2008 - 12:34 AM

Thanks for the response Brian. That's how I feel on the subject too regarding short changing myself and my profession and also building in room in my price to go down. Any tips on what to say during a negotiation?

#4 Travis Cline

Travis Cline
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 08 October 2008 - 05:12 PM

I always tell people what I was paid on the last job, and I make sure that last job was the highest I've ever been paid. That way they know what you already earn and if they really want you they will have to pay your rate or you will take a different job. If you settle for less there is no chance they are going to offer more next time since they know you will work for less.

Travis

CineLab

Abel Cine

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Visual Products

Metropolis Post

rebotnix Technologies

Glidecam

Opal

Willys Widgets

Technodolly

Gamma Ray Digital Inc