1 reply to this topic

#1 David Regan

David Regan
  • Sustaining Members
  • 218 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • New York

Posted 02 October 2008 - 07:22 AM

After a summer of ACing and not really shooting too much, it was nice to get back into things with a music video. It was a 2 day HVX shoot, with a 3rd day for pre-lighting. Great band to work with, very good director, and an awesome crew made it a really fun shoot. There's some pretty extensive green-screen post production, combining stop-motion and 3D with the live-action, so it'll be a while before there's a final video to see. For some reason the site isn't letting me attach anything, so I've posted a flickr link to some grabs from the footage.

The Director wanted a dark gothic look, everything being sort of surrealist, a non-existent red-room. So I went after a toppy low key look keeping a lot of the set in shadow.

There were really only 2 major lighting setups, one for our green-screen, and one for the set. Everything was shot in studio, so I had quite a bit of flexibility with lighting and what I could do. My major lighting for these shots consisted of a skirted spider lights (A sort of knock of 1k space light) over each band member's approximate position. A 2k and 1k fresnel raked the band from a back to 3/4 back position. Then there were some highlight spotted on the clock on the wall, and on the curtain's. Pretty simply really.

For the greenscreen, I wanted to keep a toppy-sidey look to things, so I originally had a 5k bounce set up above the talent, but I found it didn't really do as much as I had expected, after I exposed for my side-key and back light. So my main sources were a 2k through 250 as a backlight, and a 2k blonde through a 4x of 1/4 grid as my side key.

I'll be looking forward to the final product after all of the greenscreen. The following link is to stills from the footage, I'd love to hear any thoughts, it's definitely nice to get back into the swing of things.

http://www.flickr.co...57607666103755/

#2 Chris Keth

Chris Keth
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4427 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Los Angeles

Posted 04 October 2008 - 12:58 AM

The biggest thing I would wish for is an eyelight. Dark eye-sockets are all good for a certain mood but I still like to see at least a little sparkle in the eyes, a catchlight. Something like a 2x4 kino with some heavy diff does it pretty well for me. With a single tube it can be just something to be reflected in the eyes.

Tai Audio

FJS International, LLC

CineTape

Abel Cine

Paralinx LLC

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Technodolly

CineLab

rebotnix Technologies

Aerial Filmworks

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Ritter Battery