#1 Steve Absalom

Steve Absalom
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Student
  • Baltimore, MD USA

Posted 02 October 2008 - 09:39 AM

I have a shot planned where I want to shoot a guy sitting alone in a diner at twilight/evening. I wanted to separate the subject from the background (and anything else in the diner) by casting a colored light on him (probably red or yellow) but I don't know yet. I know how I'd set up the lighting for a close up, but what about doing a long shot where I get a picture of him in the diner far back into a corner. My lighting rigs will be visible, I assume. Unless I can put them far, far away off screen.

But I've never actually lit anything before other than a basic 3-point lighting setup in class. So I'm not sure how this works, lighting a long shot I mean.

Edited by Steve Absalom, 02 October 2008 - 09:40 AM.

#2 Saul Rodgar

Saul Rodgar
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1682 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 02 October 2008 - 11:29 AM

For this kind of shot most people rig lights hanging from the ceiling or outside windows, behind furniture or doorways. If you don't have enough wattage/ lights and they need to be close to your subject, they would only be visible if you shoot a wide master shot. Also, the diner probably has plenty of practical lights that you can turn on to pump up your ambiance, so you don't have to worry too much about that and can concentrate to your key and fill.

#3 Serge Teulon

Serge Teulon
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • London UK

Posted 03 October 2008 - 09:08 AM

Also, on a long shot you can get away with far more than when you close in. With this I mean with your lighting. i.e On a long shot you could have harder lighting but on the CU you would soften it.

Wooden Camera

Metropolis Post

Opal

Tai Audio

Abel Cine

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Paralinx LLC

CineLab

The Slider

Rig Wheels Passport

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Technodolly