Photo

Bauer c8 camera + 9 Kodachrome 40 Cartridges, vale?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Jo Heeley

Jo Heeley

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Other

Posted 02 October 2008 - 11:38 AM

Hi Guys, i wander if anyone can help me out by letting me know the general value of a Bauer Super C8 camera, plus 9 Kodachrome 40 cartridges,...this was given to me by an elderly relative who has no clue to the value, i am a musician and have no use for it, was thinking of ebay but i am not sure of a reasonable price, or of course if anyone on the forum wants to make an offer please do so
cheers
jominks@yahoo.co.uk
:blink:

#2 Michael Waite

Michael Waite
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
  • Other
  • Sydney, Australia

Posted 03 October 2008 - 07:53 AM

If selling on ebay I would list the camera & film separately.

The interest in the film will depend on the expiry date & how it was stored. If expiry was the last few years & it was kept in a fridge then you might get $20 per roll. When I hear "elderly relative" I think of stuff that hasn't been used since the 1970s. If the film is that old it will probably process with a magenta cast. That's assuming it's the modern Kodachrome that can still be processed. The expiry date should be on the boxes.

I don't know anything about the Bauer cameras but there are people on this forum far more knowledgeable about Super 8 than me & they should be able to help. The important thing I look for when buying a camera from ebay or whatever is how informed the seller is about it. Top marks go to someone who guarantees that the camera is in good working order & has been shooting film with it recently & getting good exposures. The other end of the scale is the person selling on behalf of the elderly relative & who knows nothing about the gear. In this case it is a wild gamble to buy it & hope it is functional, so I would only pay a very low amount.

Based on this, if you wanted to maximise the price you are likely to sell it for you could put some new batteries in & if the camera is working you can expose a roll or two of the Kodachrome & get it processed. If all goes well you can give a more accurate report when selling. Bear in mind there is only one lab in the world that still processes Kodachrome film (Dwayne's in Kansas) so this will be a somewhat slow & expensive option. Plus you need access to a projector or viewer to be able to check the processed film. That might sound tedious to you or it might even turn out to be fun.

I write this having bought several Super 8 cameras & a dozen or so rolls of old K40 from ebay with varying degrees of success.

#3 Steve Phipps

Steve Phipps
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
  • Other

Posted 05 October 2008 - 11:41 PM

^ I think that was good advice. I'll try to add.

1. There is a Super-8 forum here. You should post in that forum. Scroll down from the General Discussion forum, and you should see it.

2. You have two issues that you might like to separate. One is: What is the value of the camera? The other is: What is the value of the 9 carts of film?

3. I don't own one, but my impression of the Bauer C 8 is that it is a nice, though relatively basic, camera. It does not have the "advanced" features that make other cameras more sought after today. The reason I mention that is, even if your camera was in TOP condition, my impression is that its maximum value is still relatively limited -- limited by its features. Even if you were to go through the process of shooting a test roll and verifying that everything in the camera works correctly, my guess is that you probably will not be able to recover the cost (and costs in time) of doing all those tests. If you have no interest in photography or film-making yourself, and you don't want to be bothered with it, you might prefer to just offer the thing on eBay starting at £1, and let that process figure out a final price for you. If you do go that route, be sure to include in the auction ANY extra and associated items that you have that go with the camera. The instruction manual, the original box, an original brochure, a carrying case, a wrist-strap. All those things will add value. If you can put some batteries in the camera and verify the basic condition "With batteries installed, when I pull the trigger, I hear a motor going steadily", that will add value too.

Good luck!

Rig Wheels Passport

Metropolis Post

Wooden Camera

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Opal

Abel Cine

Ritter Battery

CineTape

Tai Audio

FJS International, LLC

rebotnix Technologies