#1 george fox

george fox

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Student

Posted 02 October 2008 - 04:08 PM

what we want to do is the film is a cinema vertie style zombie film. we will problably shoot with the sony pmw-ex 1 or 3 or the red scarlet once it is released.

im only 13 but my dad owns a tv show production company so i have access to Pro Hd cameras and equipment plus a edit suite with avid nitris.

my idea is doing nearly everything handheld and when the action gets up close have the camera be extremly shaky and shoot with a high shutter. we also want to do long takes with lots of movement.
after doing a few tests we figured that the need for lighing is minimal even at night.

the look we are after is influenced by:
saving private ryan
children of men
colateral
heat
28 days later

any ideas on this?

#2 Chris Durham

Chris Durham
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • New York, NY

Posted 02 October 2008 - 04:14 PM

The shakier you get the more trouble you'll have with the rolling shutter. The EX1 is supposed to be better about this than lower end cameras, and the Scarlet - or whatever Red puts out - is supposed to be making improvements; but I'd personally still prefer a CCD to a CMOS. The only problem is sensor size. But the HPX170 or even HMC150 bear looking at.

#3 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7115 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 02 October 2008 - 04:18 PM

Agreed on the Rolling shutter i you're going super shaky cam. It will wobble might actually work for it though, depending. I'd say the biggest problem you'd have would be how to actually hand-hold the camera. None of those are prticularly ergonomic for a long period of time w/o a shoulder set. Now; with a shoulder set, you're fine, of course, but this changes the way things get rigged up.
Also you'll always need more light than you think you might. . . in the end; the look of the film coming from the script will dictate a good deal of this.

#4 george fox

george fox

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Student

Posted 02 October 2008 - 05:14 PM

one more thing im trying to figure out is how to shoot graphic violence because there i going to be a fair amount.for zombies attacking people im thinking of getting really close in and shaking the camera up and down to convey more violence.
any ideas

btw we dont really have any restrictions on ratings so it can be as violent as we want

#5 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7115 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 02 October 2008 - 06:13 PM

biggest problem with any of that will probably be the makeup FXs. Shaky cam may also make people kinda sick (e.g. Cloverfield).

#6 george fox

george fox

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Student

Posted 02 October 2008 - 07:39 PM

makeup fx is actually one of my strongest skills especialy gags

#7 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7115 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 02 October 2008 - 08:58 PM

Well aside from that, Focus could be an issue depending on the situation and how much you're moving. Aside from that, Can't think of much aside from possibly getting knocked by the actors.

Technodolly

CineLab

Aerial Filmworks

Tai Audio

Opal

rebotnix Technologies

Paralinx LLC

Wooden Camera

Visual Products

Ritter Battery

The Slider

CineTape