Great news for all european RED users.

#2 Emanuel A Guedes

Emanuel A Guedes
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts
  • Producer

Posted 03 October 2008 - 09:40 PM

We are pleased to officially announce RED EUROPE, located on the grounds of the esteemed Pinewood Studios in Bukinghamshire, England.

Over the next month we will commence partial operations, starting with facilitating the AUDIO UPGRADE PROGRAM for our customers, as well as full camera service and an accelerated emergency repair program.

Carl Ward will be in charge of Operations for RED EUROPE, and Our Head Field Tech Ivan Kadlec will be overseaing the technical functions.

Customers that are geographically closer to RED EUROPE will be directed to send thier cameras to the new facility for the upgrade rather than RED HeadQuarters in California.

Please note that during Construction, the facility will not be open to the public.

Jarred Land, 4 October 2008, 00:05 GMT @ reduser.net

#3 Keith Walters

Keith Walters
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2219 posts
  • Other
  • Sydney Australia

Posted 04 October 2008 - 03:42 AM

We are pleased to officially announce RED EUROPE, located on the grounds of the esteemed Pinewood Studios in Bukinghamshire, England.

Over the next month we will commence partial operations, starting with facilitating the AUDIO UPGRADE PROGRAM for our customers, as well as full camera service and an accelerated emergency repair program.

Carl Ward will be in charge of Operations for RED EUROPE, and Our Head Field Tech Ivan Kadlec will be overseaing the technical functions.

Customers that are geographically closer to RED EUROPE will be directed to send thier cameras to the new facility for the upgrade rather than RED HeadQuarters in California.

Please note that during Construction, the facility will not be open to the public.

Jarred Land, 4 October 2008, 00:05 GMT @ reduser.net

Significant that they've decided to go the whole hog with their own service setup rather than using an agent. It's a horribly expensive option, and your startup costs are generally unrecoverable, but there is no conflict of interest, which is a major pain, (for both customers AND employees, been there, done that!) .

Wonder where the next one will be.

#4 Brian Drysdale

Brian Drysdale
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5070 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 04 October 2008 - 06:56 AM

Significant that they've decided to go the whole hog with their own service setup rather than using an agent. It's a horribly expensive option, and your startup costs are generally unrecoverable, but there is no conflict of interest, which is a major pain, (for both customers AND employees, been there, done that!) .

Wonder where the next one will be.

Not too bad a location, just at the end of the underground (then short taxi ride) or a longer taxi ride from Heathrow. A bit a trek across London if using the budget airlines at Luton etc, but no worse than going to the old Optex offices in Barnet. The easiest way would be just to freight any gear there, not a big deal these days.

I notice some people seem to regard England as not being part of the EU.

The Euro comment is a bit of a red herring, I work in both the Euro zone and Sterling without any real problems other than the variations in the exchange rate and the bank charges. Of course, there's nothing to stop RED charging people in Euros if required, retail shops do that everyday

#5 Stephen Williams

Stephen Williams
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4708 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Europe

Posted 04 October 2008 - 04:30 PM

The Euro comment is a bit of a red herring, I work in both the Euro zone and Sterling without any real problems other than the variations in the exchange rate and the bank charges. Of course, there's nothing to stop RED charging people in Euros if required, retail shops do that everyday

Hi Brian,

Traders are pricing in the possibility that the Euro will not survive the financial crisis.

http://www.moneyweek...ctim-13758.aspx

Stephen

#6 Keith Walters

Keith Walters
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2219 posts
  • Other
  • Sydney Australia

Posted 04 October 2008 - 06:15 PM

Not too bad a location, just at the end of the underground (then short taxi ride) or a longer taxi ride from Heathrow. A bit a trek across London if using the budget airlines at Luton etc, but no worse than going to the old Optex offices in Barnet. The easiest way would be just to freight any gear there, not a big deal these days.

Being easy for "tourists" to find is a major consideration, not always appreciated by manufacturers, agents etc.

If you're using cards, most currencies appear to be seamlessly transferrable throughout most of the developed world. I was amazed that even in remote pacific outposts like Vanuatu I could use my Australian Mastercard to draw money out of my Sydney Bank account with a local ATM. The only minor problem was that it only printed out my balance in Vatus, but at least I was a millionaire for a while :lol:

The worst place to deal with is parts of South East Asia. Currency transfer there is not usually a problem, which is good because you need so much of it to bribe petty officials!

#7 Brian Drysdale

Brian Drysdale
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5070 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 04 October 2008 - 06:44 PM

Hi Brian,

Traders are pricing in the possibility that the Euro will not survive the financial crisis.

http://www.moneyweek...ctim-13758.aspx

Stephen

Hi Stephen.

I guess we'll be either using sea shells or gold at this rate, promissory notes such as banknotes mightn't hold up to all this.

Brian

#8 Max Jacoby

Max Jacoby
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2955 posts
  • Other

Posted 05 October 2008 - 03:42 AM

Do you want to bet on that Stephen? I'm sure we can agree on a proper bet, not like last time ;)

#9 Stephen Williams

Stephen Williams
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4708 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Europe

Posted 05 October 2008 - 03:46 AM

Do you want to bet on that Stephen? I'm sure we can agree on a proper bet, not like last time ;)

Hi Max,

Ask me again in 3 months, the answer should be clear by then.

Stephen

#10 Emanuel A Guedes

Emanuel A Guedes
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts
  • Producer

Posted 06 October 2008 - 06:35 AM

I hope Max is right at least once. :lol: Just kidding... I hope Max is right this time.

http://www.reduser.n...p;postcount=135

Abel Cine

Visual Products

Glidecam

Willys Widgets

FJS International, LLC

Metropolis Post

The Slider

rebotnix Technologies

Rig Wheels Passport

Wooden Camera

CineTape