Photo

Possible Front Filter Solution For Peleng 8mm?

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Ira Ratner

Ira Ratner
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts
  • Other
  • Coral Springs, Florida

Posted 05 October 2008 - 10:15 AM

How the heck could I rationalize paying close to $300 for a lens that I couldn't craetively filter because of the curvature of the glass? And shooting 16mm, there HAD to be a good solution, since you're not getting the full 180 degrees of coverage anyway.

So I see Cokin makes a Universal ring that secures to the barrel, to be used if you like have a damaged filter thread. And they also make extension rings, both to be seen here:

http://cokin.com/cokin-system.html

So wouldn't this combo work for the Peleng, albeit using a few of the extension rings to bring it out far enough? And allowing me to use my full P-series arsenal?

But the big question is, without taking out a slide rule and doing the complicated math (which I can't do anyway), I would be WAY safe like this with 16mm, right? Without the holder getting into frame?

I contacted Cokin on Friday, and no reply yet. The parts are cheap enough, so I just might pull the trigger and experiment anyway.

My other option is just buying the Universal ring, epoxying it to a short piece of PVC, and epoxying a ring to the other end, that the P-holder slides onto.

It's a matter of whether it's worth the headache putting something like this together, when several of their extension rings will do the same thing.

Aerial Filmworks

CineTape

Visual Products

CineLab

Willys Widgets

Metropolis Post

The Slider

Technodolly

Paralinx LLC

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Wooden Camera

Ritter Battery