5 replies to this topic

#1 Roger Richards

Roger Richards
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
  • Producer

Posted 05 October 2008 - 11:56 AM

Hello everyone, I have a couple of questions about using short ends and recans. My experience with shooting motion picture film has so far been limited to factory daylight loads of 100-foot 16mm. In the future I am looking at using short ends and recans on an Eclair ACL with 200 and 400-ft mags.

How would one go about doing this? From research through these forums I gather that after purchasing the stock I would use a changing bag to load it on spools. Are short ends loaded on spools and then sold, or is it necessary to load it oneself? Do I need to buy spools? If someone could enlighten me on the process I would be most grateful.

Thanks.

#2 Saul Rodgar

Saul Rodgar
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1682 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 05 October 2008 - 12:48 PM

I will assume that you know that loads larger than 100' come in cores that necessitate the use of a core adaptor/ platter to properly load on the mags. I have never seen recans or short ends on daylight spools. Your mags should have come with the core adapter / platter for film on cores on both take up and feed sides. If so you will be OK, if not, short ends and re-cans are going to be a pain in the ass to use.

The process is identical to buying new sealed cans, but I would only buy from reputable dealers. Most of these clip test their re-can and short end stocks to guarantee freshness. You call the distributor, check stock availability and pay for it. You will the stock in cans, in identical conditions as if were new, but it will be in shorter lengths in the case of short ends. You will load and expose it exactly the same way as you load and expose new stock, unless the stock you got is definitely not fresh, in which case exposure compensation is recommended.

#3 Ron Flex

Ron Flex
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
  • Other

Posted 05 October 2008 - 05:37 PM

While on the subject of cores and spools. When a brand new roll of 400ft kodak comes out the tin is it in a bag? Also is there any chance of picking up the roll of film and it completely collapsing of the core? Do you need to kind of push it together from both sides to keep it together?

I ask because I have not done this before and the only time I will be doing it is in complete darkness.

#4 Alex Worster

Alex Worster
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • Film Loader

Posted 05 October 2008 - 06:16 PM

It's in a bag coming out of the can. The core has never fallen out on me or anyone I've ever talked with however depending on the temperature it can get a little loose. In my experience the warmer it is the looser it'll get. But just for safety I always try to hold the rolls with some fingers underneath for support, especially with 16.

#5 Roger Richards

Roger Richards
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
  • Producer

Posted 06 October 2008 - 11:18 AM

Hi Saul, thanks for the info, appreciate it.
-Roger

#6 Charles MacDonald

Charles MacDonald
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1157 posts
  • Other
  • Stittsville Ontario Canada

Posted 06 October 2008 - 07:03 PM

I will assume that you know that loads larger than 100' come in cores that necessitate the use of a core adaptor/ platter to properly load on the mags. I have never seen recans or short ends on daylight spools.

talk to the dealer. Some will respool on to 100 foot spools if you requset the service.. Come automacticaly provide 100 ft lensths on spools. Otherwise, if over 100ft expect to receive film on a core in a plastic bag.

Glidecam

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Visual Products

Aerial Filmworks

rebotnix Technologies

Technodolly

Metropolis Post

Rig Wheels Passport

Wooden Camera

Opal

The Slider

Tai Audio