Ernie Zahn
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
  • Director
  • Greenwich, CT

Posted 05 October 2008 - 01:38 PM

Hey,

I was wondering does anyone know where I can find a Beaulieu brand top loading magazine? I have a 6008S, so I know it can take it, but if anyone knows where I can get one of these it'd be much appreciated.

#2 Michael Lehnert

Michael Lehnert
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1086 posts
  • Other
  • London, UK / Basel, CH

Posted 05 October 2008 - 07:42 PM

Your best chances to get hold of a Beaulieu SD8/60 would be via Bavaria Cine Home, which is a "sort of" subsidiary of the Bavaria Studios focused on Super 8. Dr Carl-Hellmuth Hoefer of Smallformat fame is an associate there, and when Ritter (Beaulieu DE) went bust a while back, they were to top competitors to take over the General Representation of Beaulieu in Germany - until Daniel Wittner snapped the deal to become Beaulie DE out of their fingers in the last minute... those were the days... :-)

Language: should work in English, actually.

Price: premium region (ebay.de might be cheaper, but rare)

Issue: Beware that you will have to get your Beaulieu 6/7/9008-series camera quite heavily modified before it is "magazine-ready". Just to snap it in doesn't work like that. It's not a 16mm clip-on job, plus: it's Beaulieu!
When the product was launched, the modification of the cameras had the same price as the magazine itself (several thousand bucks in today greenback money), so no wonder that it remained a rarity. Also, the first run of the production has flawed, and it became a bit like in the early days of coachbuilt automobiles were camera/magazine combos were individually tuned to each other, solving haunting gremlins bit by bit (leaving behind many elderly Germans with red faces out of anger over cameras away in service for weeks, but with quadruple digit bills coming in every other week :rolleyes: )

Best wishes,

-Michael

#3 Ernie Zahn

Ernie Zahn
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
  • Director
  • Greenwich, CT

Posted 08 October 2008 - 01:23 PM

Thanks for the info and friendly warning. It doesn't look like it's in my budget.

FJS International, LLC

The Slider

rebotnix Technologies

CineTape

Metropolis Post

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Ritter Battery

Abel Cine

Aerial Filmworks

Tai Audio

Technodolly

Paralinx LLC